• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of opening multiple savings accounts and closing them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xCloudx

Indiana
I searched around but couldn't seem to find any advice on it.

Basically, I've created a new savings plan. I have 4 total bank accounts. One checking and one savings at a local bank that I use for all my bills going out. And one checking and one savings at a bigger branch (name left out unless it's relevant).
Let's call each of these accounts:
Local || Bigger bank
1C || 2C
1S || 2S

The bigger bank allows me to open accounts with a credit card. It puts limits on how much you can charge to start out. $500 max. So both 2C and 2S are sitting at $500 each for a total of $1000. What I did was open an account, slowly save up the money in 1C, then paid off the CC (before the month ended, I don't keep balances). The reason I didn't just save the cash and then open it with cash is twofold. 1) I get rewards points. 2) I have a habit to spend money. I'm trying to forge a savings plan around that issue that accommodates it. I do NOT touch the account balances in 2C or 2S. The problem with 1S is that it's too easily accessible. These two aren't.

My legal question comes in here. As of right now, I've done nothing wrong (I'm pretty sure). Let's say I continue this. I open up another savings account with the bigger bank (2SS). 2SS will have the same $500 balance as the other 2. Now, would it be illegal to open this account, transfer the funds into 2S (effectively making balance in 2S $1000 and balance in 2SS $0), and then close 2SS? Also, would the bank have a problem with that? If I let it sit there for a month and then did it, would it be any better? My main worry is that they'd assume I'm kiting money. But I haven't even been issued checks from them yet. I'm not sure I even fully understand how kiting works, all I know is that it may look as if I am.

I know that I could take a cash advance on my card but I lose my intro 0% apr on it and my apr on cash advances is 22%. Not sure I really want to go that route yet. And I know the easiest solution is saving the money but it really is a lot easier to save when I have an actual debt on the line that I HAVE to pay.

Thanks in advance for reading and any advice.

Last edited:

antrc170

What you really need to do is talk to a credit counselor or fiancial counselor to help you get a handle on your money. Most banks and credit unions have staff that can help or will refer you to a trusted advisor. This person will sit down and help you understand how to save money to meet your future goals, etc.

How your bank handles multiple credit accounts is entirely up to them. They may or may not allow you to transfer and close the open credit accounts according to their policy. However, if you do open and close accounts on a regular basis you will catch the eye of the bank. They can (and probably will) file a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) which is forwarded to the IRS, FBI and other federal agencies for review.

Is it illegal necessarily? No. Is it suspicious? Absolutely.

xCloudx

Keep in mind, I'm only 21. I don't really like people handling my money besides myself. I also have a pretty good grasp on what I need to do to meet my financial goals (business major with a focus in finance and investment). I didn't believe it to be illegal but it's good to have a bit of reassurance. What's the worst that would come out of them filing a suspicious report? Overall, the money is still in their bank, it won't be touched for a period of 2-5 years. Also, it's not like I'm that suspicious of a person. My record is completely clean besides a speeding ticket and I would have a valid excuse for pulling the money around (consolidating funds). The only one I see getting hurt out of this arrangement is my CC company, because I'm basically finding a way to duck the cash advance APR. Now them I could see getting a bit upset, but I still wouldn't think they'd have any legal ground to come after me.

I just wish they'd allow me to charge my card to add funds. If they'd allow that, it would save me the hassle of bouncing it around. Perhaps I'll open one more savings at $500, wait a month or 3 and go into a branch and try to transfer and close it and see what they say.

If not, maybe I'll just start handing my extra cash that I use to pay the card over to a family member to hold onto. But I REALLY dislike that idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">