• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lethal dose of insulin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? IL

My cat was recently hospitalized for severe dehydration, suspected of resulting from either diabetes or pancreatitis. The doctors were unsure of the root cause because either problem can affect the other.

I pulled the cat out (she was not discharged) after 6 days because they did not know the root cause yet, and the bill was becoming too high. I followed up immediately on an outpatient basis with a regular vet. At the time I pulled her out she was significantly improved.

48 hours later we had our second follow up with the vet. Her lab tests were nearly normal, though her glucose a little high, but much lower than previously. Her apppearance and behavior were all nearly normal.

At that time he stated he was pleased with her progress, sent me home with insulin and syringes and said to give her one injection "just to be sure" and follow up 3 days later. (due to the holiday). He did not send me home with a medical note or instructions on the insulin, but told me 20 cc's. When we loaded the syringe, the 20 mark looked like more insulin than he had demonstrated, so we cut it down to 10. The syringes he gave me were for U100 insulin, the insulin we had was U40.

To make a long story short, we gave her the insulin and she died an ugly death in my arms 5 hours later.

After researching on the web, we now believe the insulin was either too high of a dose, or she didn't need it at all, resulting in shock or coma, then death.

The vet never told me anything but "give her a dose just to be sure". He didn't state that a wrong dose could be lethal, to watch her, or anything that would have made me think something could go wrong. Nor did he give me a medical note stating any precautions, etc.

My cat died because I did what he told me to do. I don't wish to sue him necessarily, but I need to know if he was negligent in some way in order to properly follow up with him.

Legal perspective would be helpful. Thank You.

rmet4nzkx

Job_Hunting said:
What is the name of your state? IL

My cat was recently hospitalized for severe dehydration, suspected of resulting from either diabetes or pancreatitis. The doctors were unsure of the root cause because either problem can affect the other.

I pulled the cat out (she was not discharged) after 6 days because they did not know the root cause yet, and the bill was becoming too high. I followed up immediately on an outpatient basis with a regular vet. At the time I pulled her out she was significantly improved.

48 hours later we had our second follow up with the vet. Her lab tests were nearly normal, though her glucose a little high, but much lower than previously. Her apppearance and behavior were all nearly normal.

At that time he stated he was pleased with her progress, sent me home with insulin and syringes and said to give her one injection "just to be sure" and follow up 3 days later. (due to the holiday). He did not send me home with a medical note or instructions on the insulin, but told me 20 cc's. When we loaded the syringe, the 20 mark looked like more insulin than he had demonstrated, so we cut it down to 10. The syringes he gave me were for U100 insulin, the insulin we had was U40.

To make a long story short, we gave her the insulin and she died an ugly death in my arms 5 hours later.

After researching on the web, we now believe the insulin was either too high of a dose, or she didn't need it at all, resulting in shock or coma, then death.

The vet never told me anything but "give her a dose just to be sure". He didn't state that a wrong dose could be lethal, to watch her, or anything that would have made me think something could go wrong. Nor did he give me a medical note stating any precautions, etc.

My cat died because I did what he told me to do. I don't wish to sue him necessarily, but I need to know if he was negligent in some way in order to properly follow up with him.

Legal perspective would be helpful. Thank You.
Did the vet say, units instead of CC? if anything you gave a diluted dose not an overdose if the Vet ordered 20 units.
http://www.petdiabetes.org/u40_conv.htm

SPR

I agree. You need to find out if the insulin was diluted.

Have you called and talked to the Vet about it?

No--not yet. It's the holiday weekend.

As far as the diluted dose--That's what I thought also. The insulin was U40, which I though meant only 40 units of insulin as opposed to 100 with a U100 insulin? Hence, less insulin in the same measure of unit?

Couldn't one die from receiving any insulin at all, if not needed?

rmet4nzkx

U40 is a diluted dose. Call your vet's office even if it is a holiday and inform them what happened, remember your cat was very sick, it may have died because of it's illness.

Rmet--
Do you really think that's possible, that she just suddenly died, when the same day all her tests were nearly normal? She was fine, purring, eating, walking around, etc, until I gave her the injection. 1/2 hour later, she went and "hid" like cats do. Thought nothing of it, until she died 4 hours later. Thanks--

Thanks--

rmet4nzkx

Job_Hunting said:
Rmet--
Do you really think that's possible, that she just suddenly died, when the same day all her tests were nearly normal? She was fine, purring, eating, walking around, etc, until I gave her the injection. 1/2 hour later, she went and "hid" like cats do. Thought nothing of it, until she died 4 hours later. Thanks--

Thanks--
Maybe you injected an air bubble or or hit a vein/artery by accident? Maybe the cat needed the 20 units and only received a fraction of that and her sugar went wild? Right now there is no way to tell, call the vet's office and update us from that, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks so much RMet--

I would just like to inform the vet so that he can improve his communications with future patients. Yes, it could have been a number of things resulting in her death, though my mommy gutt tells me otherwise., If only he had communicated with me a little better, the result might have been different.

Thanks again and have a great holiday :)

rmet4nzkx

Job_Hunting said:
Thanks so much RMet--

I would just like to inform the vet so that he can improve his communications with future patients. Yes, it could have been a number of things resulting in her death, though my mommy gutt tells me otherwise., If only he had communicated with me a little better, the result might have been different.

Thanks again and have a great holiday :)
I'm so sorry for your loss that must have been heartbreaking to have your cat die in your arms, but remember you removed your cat from the pet hospital because the cost was too great, at some point you have to draw a line at extraordinary care for a terminally ill pet. Perhaps the cat felt better being home with you rather than in a strange place. Diabetes is hard enough to control in humans and more so with animals, diabetes is stil one of the leading causes of death in humans, people die suddenly everyday, many without ever knowing the root cause. Remember the cats blood suger was elevated, so you didn't give an overdose if 20 units was the correct dose, you gave far less than that.

Thanks again! And yes, it was heartbreaking. I sure hope she wasn't in pain.
By the way, I enjoy your posts. You are very knowledgeable. I was actually hoping I'd get a response from you on this one!

SPR

I have actually asked about insulin over dose and if it is painless and I have had colleagues tell me that it is not. I am quite sure your kitty did not suffer.

Oh my gosh, Thank you so much SPR. That info helps a great deal. More than anything, that was the part torturing me, --and the guilt, of course, that I pulled the trigger.--Thank you again.

B

butterscotch

to be loved by a cat

Job_Hunting said:
Oh my gosh, Thank you so much SPR. That info helps a great deal. More than anything, that was the part torturing me, --and the guilt, of course, that I pulled the trigger.--Thank you again.
You had the gift of being loved by a cat. I have a 16 year old maine coon. I know what you mean by feeling guilty. Don't. You did not overdose your cat. I think your call to your vet will confirm.

Pancreatitis- inflamation of the pancrease caused the diabetic problems your cat developed. The pancrease stores insulin which is released according to blood sugars. They are so little and when they have organ disease they don't live very long.

If she was hospitalized for 6 days it's likely it was serious and fatal. I am so glad that she was in your arms when she died. How lucky she was to have you.

Thanks to you also Butterscotch. I know this is a legal forum but often it becomes a support forum too!

I suppose there's that part of me that wants to lash out at the vet, but I know he was only doing what he thought was right. I do hope when I tell him what happened, he will at least, be a little more clear on the consequences when sending people home with meds, etc.

Thanks again--Tracy

panzertanker

rmet4nzkx said:
Did the vet say, units instead of CC? if anything you gave a diluted dose not an overdose if the Vet ordered 20 units.
http://www.petdiabetes.org/u40_conv.htm
U100 = 100 units of insulin in EACH cc/ml
U40 = 40 units of insulin in EACH cc/ml

That means if you gave the directed amount of insulin (20cc's) you would have given 800 units of insulin.
You then gave 1/2 the dose, equal to 400 units of insulin.
This is based on your statement of "cc's".

You also state the syringes were U-100 syringes. This syringe is actually only ONE cc in volume.

Clarify this so we may offer correct advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">