• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LGBTQ issues and private school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure the girls complaining actually were touched and they weren't just being difficult because they don't like "switcheroos" as you put it? This could be more bullying from them where they are basically making accusations against the only trans girl in school because hey, your staff doesn't care how they act and they won't be punished because, per you, they are only being "honest" with presenting their bigotry. After all, you didn't have a discussion with the bigots that were griping about switcheroos. So again, you are singling out the transstudent because of your own bigotry.
This is an interesting perspective, and I had not considered this. The child’s mother did argue that her child has OCD that would prevent their touching another child voluntarily due to fear of contamination, however our principal stated she had witnessed this child randomly touching others.

the girls that complained aren’t the type to lie. And we did not punish this transgender child. Rather this child was only spoken to about needing to respect boundaries if they desire to make friends.

also, I never used the word switcheroo - that came from one of our students during a classroom discussion about celebrities they admire. That discussion was shut down by the teacher, therefore, I felt like that situation had been handled.

You clearly have not been reading about the effects of bullying on students. Bullying is not harmless. LBGQT students in particular are at risk. Start with Google.

The school is failing this student.
This school is failing every other student by not teaching tolerance. Those students will grow up and meet people from all walks of life and will not be know how to accept and interact with people who are different.
This school is failing its staff by not requiring them to be tolerant. These teachers are not being asked to grow as people and educators.

You are far more interested in finding ways to cover up your and the school's bigoted shortcomings than educating and finding ways to help and educate this student.
Is it our place to educate young people on LGBTQ issues? I feel rather strongly that type of education should come from their parents.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is an interesting perspective, and I had not considered this. The child’s mother did argue that her child has OCD that would prevent their touching another child voluntarily due to fear of contamination, however our principal stated she had witnessed this child randomly touching others.

the girls that complained aren’t the type to lie. And we did not punish this transgender child. Rather this child was only spoken to about needing to respect boundaries if they desire to make friends.

also, I never used the word switcheroo - that came from one of our students during a classroom discussion about celebrities they admire. That discussion was shut down by the teacher, therefore, I felt like that situation had been handled.
It wasn't handled. And the student said it? But you had no issue with it because they were being honest. And can't correct the bigots because you side with them. Was the student that referred to transgender as switcheroos one of the girls? Was that student's friends some of those complaining? As an attorney, if I were representing this girl, I could DESTROY your school. I would bankrupt you. Your principal? Is the principal as professional as the teacher that allowed bullying? As professional as you who has allowed bullying by calling it honesty? Is the principal another who wants this child to leave the school for "her own good"? None of you have credibility.

The girls that complained aren't the type to lie but the transgender student is not believed so you think she is. So why? Because she is "that type"? Again, your bigotry is showing. Your entire school needs shut down.

It wasn't. Was the student that referred to transgender as switcheroos one of the girls? Was that student's friends some of those complaining? As an attorney, if I were representing this girl, I could DESTROY your school. I would bankrupt you. Your principal? Is the principal as professional as the teacher that allowed bullying? As professional as you who has allowed bullying by calling it honesty? Is the principal another who wants this child to leave the school for "her own good"? None of you have credibility.

The girls that complained aren't the type to lie but the transgender student is not believed so you think she is. So why? Because she is "that type"? Again, your bigotry is showing. Your entire school needs shut down.
Why does this one transgender student seem to get more consideration and credibility than an entire school of other students and professional educators?

and since the mother hasn’t brought any official complaints of bullying to us since January I can’t believe a judge or jury or whomever would buy bullying as the source of these excessive absences.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Sigh.... What a missed opportunity by the teacher and the entire staff. Suppose the child had mentioned a celebrity that routinely used the N-word or anti-semitic slurs/rhetoric and stated that was why they admired said celeb? Would shutting down the conversation be considered "handling" the situation? Or would there have been a wider discussion about why such view/language might be inappropriate?This really is no different.

But seriously, you need to stop posting. I'd print this thread out and show it to the attorney you/the school will be consulting. You're not as anonymous as you may think. And you are not helping the school's situation.

I'm honestly shocked that a counselor in a middle school would never consider that tweens may be lying/indulging in "mean girl" behavior. IMO, You're not very good at your job. Sorry.

Ok. Well thank you all for your opinions and the time you have extended to me.

you’ve given me quite a bit to think over.

I will bring all of this to the other admins at the school so we can consider both our next steps and how to do better.

we will most likely consider seeking legal advice.

I think I should refrain from saying anymore, so I won’t.

again, I do appreciate everyone’s time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">