• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liabilities after bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shoaib

What is the name of your state?ohio

my question is that i have a little store of clothing right now,
business is terrible, i am planing to close it by runing a going out of business sale.

1. Can i run the gob sale and then file for bankruptcy?
2. I owe some back sales taxes and workers compensation taxes, can they all be erased after I file for bankruptcy.

3. Its an S corporation. will the owners have any personel liability to pay anything like sale taxes after the bankruptcy?

Please reply, Thanks.

Please don't try to do this on your own -- find an Ohio attorney.

You may find that you have personal responsibility for sales taxes (which your business was supposed to collect and remit to the state) and for failure to make required worker's compensation insurance or tax payments. You certainly would have in Massachusetts. You could even face criminal charges for intentional failures.

Therefore, do not talk about the facts of your case any more until you've talked to an attorney.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AttorneyOney said:
I meant not to talk about it anywhere except a lawyer's office.

My response:

Okay, I can read between the lines like anyone. You also meant not to discuss it here.

Why?

The people that come here are anonymous.

IAAL

ACS

Are you sure we are anonymous?

Government(s) has watchdogs. It shouldn't be too hard for the government to find a business owner in Ohio with a S corp that sales dresses and who hasn't paid their WC or Sales tax. This fourm has intersting information.

Am I a product of Nixon? I was only 12!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ACS said:
Are you sure we are anonymous?

Government(s) has watchdogs. It shouldn't be too hard for the government to find a business owner in Ohio with a S corp that sales dresses and who hasn't paid their WC or Sales tax. This fourm has intersting information.

Am I a product of Nixon? I was only 12!!

My response:

With a question and comments like those, perhaps, in hindsight, it would be better not to discuss your matter with anyone unless you're in a cloaked, darkened and locked office with a local attorney.

Make sure to first check the office for bugs, and bring your secret decoder ring.

IAAL

smorr

Walter - you really shouldn't use your real name here either.... people like me can find it in the 'red' book. Being an attorney from Massachusetts, I'm sure you know what book I'm talking about.

I'd change my profile if I were you.

On principle, I feel it's a matter of personal integrity not to hide behind an alias. I'd be glad to discuss the issue more fully off-list.

smorr

On principle, I feel it's a matter of personal integrity not to hide behind an alias. I'd be glad to discuss the issue more fully off-list.

My response: I understand your principle on integrity, however, being anonymous is key at times on these forums. I'm only watching out for you! I think there are others that will agree. And, being one who enjoys the ability to be anonymous, I decline to discuss anything from these forums 'off-list'... a matter of my principles. :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AttorneyOney said:
Okay, then. Would you mind sharing your concerns here then? I'm always willing to listen to reason...

My response:

I don't mind. While the final decision is yours, and you're welcome to deal with the use of your real name, the "reality" is that some of the people who come to these forums are nutbaggy, stirring for an adversarial situation; e.g., to pick a fight. You have no "client control" over them and, in short, no matter how good your responses might be, someone will find fault and complain to your State Bar. Now, I'm sure you're a big boy and can take care of yourself. The question is, why invite potential trouble?

Your real name is completely unnecessary on these forums - - unless your actual motivation behind using your real name is trolling for clients.

IAAL

R

Rainaraines

You can hide behind an alias all you want, but someone can always find out who you really are. Isn't that right, IAAL? I recently came across a thread where you pulled out someone's full name and address, e-mail and snail mail, and put it up on the board for everyone to see. So, aliases can only hide you for so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">