• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvogel

What is the name of your state? California
I'm not sure if I'm in the right category. Please forward this to the appropriate category if necessary.
My wife and I are going to help my 20 year old stepson to move into his own apartment. His history has been quite troubled. Because neither he nor my wife work, the landlord wants me to sign the 6 month lease with my stepson as the occupant. I have substantial assets, both separate and community property. If, for instance, my stepson has a party and someone dies of a drug overdose and the family sues, do I have liability exposure because I am legally the tenant? If so, would it reduce or eliminate my exposure if we make my stepson the tenant and I pay the whole 6 months rent in advance, which the landlord would insist on if I’m not the tenant?

south

20 years old you say.... take the teat out of his mouth and remove the diapers I have news for you, you are the proud parent of a 180 pound bouncy adult!

He is an grown adult, man, married has parties where drug overdoses may occur.

Why do people quote 18, 20, 21, 22 like it makes a difference to the legal situation?

jvogel said:
What is the name of your state? California
I'm not sure if I'm in the right category. Please forward this to the appropriate category if necessary.
My wife and I are going to help my 20 year old stepson to move into his own apartment. His history has been quite troubled. Because neither he nor my wife work, the landlord wants me to sign the 6 month lease with my stepson as the occupant. I have substantial assets, both separate and community property. If, for instance, my stepson has a party and someone dies of a drug overdose and the family sues, do I have liability exposure because I am legally the tenant? If so, would it reduce or eliminate my exposure if we make my stepson the tenant and I pay the whole 6 months rent in advance, which the landlord would insist on if I’m not the tenant?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

if your going to go to that much trouble to assist him its time to make it crystal clear to him that he better get renters insurance for his apt and he better be able to stand on his own after you have paid the 6 months because he cant come back for another dime again. AND make sure you study your states LL/T laws so that somehow if junior weasels his way back in to your home with your wifes blessings behind your back that you under stand exactly how to get him removed from your home . and the 2nd thing you need to do is to make sure that your wife understands that she should not allow her son to cost her a marriage . after you visit with a divorce atty who can spell out for you where you will stand if your wife allows him to reside in your home again . I moved from my fathers house the day after my 18th birthday and havent been back since , YOUR gift of assistance I think is kind of you but if you do it take the time to read up and learn your states laws for landlord and tenant , and prepare . Nursing homes and group home firms are allways hiring due to staff turnover yet those jobs are some of the most steady ones as long as the employee does the job and shows up on time they will have a income and all though it can be hard work, that kind of work has rewards too .

Ellerge

Lease Guarantee

Put LEASE GUARANTEE into your search engine to find a copy of a Lease Guarantee and make sure the Landlord uses a Lease Guarantee that does not obligate you for anything except the rent. The wording of the LG in very important. You do not want to be responsible for everything - just the rent. Your best bet is to talk to your step-son and the Landlord and then pay 6 months in advance. Be sure to talk to the LL as many LLs will not take 6 months rent in advance because it may be something like drug money. So talk to the LL and explain the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">