• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien on a house for money owed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doucar

"There’s just the documented text messages of what was being lined and when it would be paid back between the husband and the church friend."
Then he would be unsuccessful in suing the wife and getting a judgement against her, so it wouldn't matter if she was included in the bankruptcy or not.

quincy

there’s not a signed loan. There’s just the documented text messages of what was being lined and when it would be paid back between the husband and the church friend.

my guess is the thief was trying to hide it from the wife and use the mi eu to bridge a payment (if any of the story is true). He probably tried to get the cash out refi but failed as he was becoming unemployed and couldn’t do it without the wife finding out. She then likely found out and the house of cards collapsed.

all that is my speculation from asking a few questions to the church friend. That’s the latest I know.
Okay. Well ... it sounds like your church friend was more generous with his money than he intended to be. From what you have said, there was no firm agreement in place about repayment when your friend handed over the money. And the wife does not appear to have had anything at all to do with this “loan.”

Your friend could try sending a “scary letter” from a lawyer to the fellow that threatens a lawsuit if the fellow does not pay back the money he was given - but such a letter has no force of law behind it and the fellow can (and I imagine probably will) ignore the threat.

Bali Hai Again

$11k sounds like an odd ball number to borrow. Litigator22's previous post makes sense. Was the original amount borrowed 10K with a chance for Naïve Dopey to put a quick 1k in his pocket in less than a month? Sounds tempting. In Vegas they will pay out what they owe. Maybe Dopey should gamble there and try for a quick buck.

quincy

$11k sounds like an odd ball number to borrow. Litigator22's previous post makes sense. Was the original amount borrowed 10K with a chance for Naïve Dopey to put a quick 1k in his pocket in less than a month? Sounds tempting. In Vegas they will pay out what they owe. Maybe Dopey should gamble there and try for a quick buck.
The $11,000 amount not only seems an “odd ball number,” it seems an excessive amount for what was to be a short term loan. The amount is so excessive, in fact, that it would lead most people to investigate the need for such a sum, and to insist on a written and signed loan document prior to issuance of the money.

The church-friend, in other words, seems to have been operating more on faith than on common sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">