• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Ins & medical privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cherry52

Texas
I recently applied for life insurance and discovered I was positive for Hepatitis C. The life insurnace company then forwarded the lab results to MIB (Medical Information Burueau). Now, the fact that I am positive for Hep C is common knowledge to anyone that wants to know! I tried applying for major medical insurance afterwards and was told my rates would be almost double (which I can't afford) because I am Hep C positive, even though I have never been to a doctor for this condition nor do I have any pre-existing medical conditions. My liver enzymes are normal and I have never had any symptoms; i.e. I am extremely healthy and feel great. I'm very concerned because I am a single parent with no health insurance and can not afford the thousands of dollars needed to do a diagnostic workup, much less treatment. I have a great job that I love, but it's with a small employer that does not offer group medical coverage. I hate the thought of changing jobs, just to get insurance. It seems there must be some law that prohibits this kind of discremination and invasion of privacy. Please help.

ALawyer

Insurance companies are in the business of evaluating and underwriting risks. For example, people who are 300 pounds overweight are FAR more likely to die or become disabled at any given age than those of normal weight. People 100 pounds overweight are also more likely to have poor mortality and mordidity than those at normal weight, but far less likely than those 200 pounds heavier. Ditto someone with HIV, even if asymptomatic. Unfortunately, it is also the case with Hep C. That does not mean Individual X who is 300 pounds heavier will die before his normal life span, or that a particular person with HIV or AIDS or Hep C will. It just means that as a GROUP the members of that group have much higher risk factors. The insurance companies have to price for that on individual insurance. (On employer sponsored group plans they price based on assumptions as to the entire employer's workforce, if they believe the workforce is representative of the population.)

When you signed the application for insurance you authorized the insurance company to report results to MIB.

Look at it this way. You may not be able to get insurance at a bargain price, but you are now aware that you have something that you and your doctor should look for in the future, as treatment is available and getting better. My prayers are with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">