• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Daringdeb

To IAAL,

My ex-husbands insurance was private and not through his employment. So I guess I'm not understanding your reply as to why I should understand why I wouldn't receive the benefit through his employment policy. I purchased the policies and mostly maintained them through my checking account. I have the original policy in hand. Unfortunatly my ex was also unaware of the court rule or he would have redesignated me. I was the intended beneficiary. I took care of this man while he was dying. Yes, I would like to choke him for not being more responsible. I couldn't dig him up as I had him cremated. Thats all I could afford. Its a sad tale for sure. I would love a reply to my original reason for posting. Access to funds as conservator for minor beneficiaries. Hardship need.

Thanks,
Daringdeb

R

rufusbuford

funeral expenses

to IIAL: what about getting reimbursed for funeral expenses that i incurred? there probably won't be enough in estate account by the time all's paid to creditors,etc, as i'm not wanting to take anything until others are taken care of first as far as creditors etc. should the cost of funeral come from his life ins.? or?

Dandy Don

Submit your claim for reimbursement of the funeral expenses by sending a certified letter (and a copy of the funeral invoice bill if you have it) to the executrix. Funeral expense is one of the major expenses that is supposed to be paid by the estate so your claim will probably get top priority before the other creditors are paid.

R

rufusbuford

to iaal: in your last reply to daringdeb,you mentioned being divorced prior to 2001,as that is when state laws on ins. where over ridden by erisa law/rule. the first divorce decree was in 1999,and stated that no future incorporation between petitioner and respondent of any kind would change courts ruling, as to having no rights to any pension plans,retirement benefits etc. wouldn't the first divorce be the one recognized. as the second divorce was filed in 2001,for the same marriage as no.1 divorce ,solely for the purpose of trying to get house awarded,just as a previous house was awarded to ex in no. 1 divorce. most people only need 1 divorce from a marriage, my brother was petitioner in no1,exwife was petitioner in no.2,and court documents list same marriage date, place, etc . in filings & proceedings, so i imagine no.1 would have bearing, what's your opinion????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">