• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Beneficary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brownie

What insurance company are you dealing with?

Is is METLIFE?

If so, I can sympathize with you because we had to deal with those idiots when my father passed away.

ALawyer

I am not a Washington state lawyer but I can tell you that in some states a divorce decree is regarded as terminating certain beneficiary designations (and thus making the coningent beneficiaries the new primary beneficiaries) unless the separation agreement and/or the divorce decree speak to the issue as most people who get divorced do not intend to leave their ex as their beneficiary.

I would suggest that you look at the divoce decree -- often -- and this is a matter of negotiation between divorcing spouses -- they say that the ex must be maintained as beneficiary of certain life insurance policies.

When face with competing claims to the money the life insurance companies usually pay the funds into court in an interpleader action and let the two claimants fight it out. The best bet for you is to speak with a Washington state lawyer who knows both insurace and family law and have the lawyer advise you. If the lawyer thinks you are in the right, he or she can write a letter to the insurance company setting forth the reasoning. Reliastar is regared as a very responsible company and I doubt that they are playing games with you. It may well be that they don't know what to do and do not want to run the risk of paying you and then also having to pay the contingent beneficiaries.

ajc14

Life insurance Beneficary

I am still working on this same matter with the Life Insurance Company and I'm still not getting anywhere with it. I've had 2 attorneys working on it as well and they are at their bottom and don't know where else to turn. The Insurance Company are still saying that because of the divorce that I am not going to get it. I have also sent a letter to the Washington State Insurance Commissioner and haven't heard yet whether or not there going to help me or not. What else can I do. Please help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">