• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Laws in Puerto Rico regarding forced heirs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atorres100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in New York City I was born in Puerto Rico, my Father died in 1989, His life insurances and properties were left to my grandmother and then she kicked us all out and we're forced to live in NYC ever since his death. Now the house we use to live in belongs to my aunt, is there anything I can do to get my house back? and as a forced heir what can I do about the life insurance money?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in New York City I was born in Puerto Rico, my Father died in 1989, His life insurances and properties were left to my grandmother and then she kicked us all out and we're forced to live in NYC ever since his death. Now the house we use to live in belongs to my aunt, is there anything I can do to get my house back? and as a forced heir what can I do about the life insurance money?
Regarding the bolded: Nope.

Nobody in the US (short of a criminal) is "forced" to live anywhere. You can move anywhere you wish (once you're an adult.)

Betty

The life ins. money goes to the beneficiary named in the policy - it seems it was your grandmother. (& she also got his properties)

If the house you used to live in now *belongs* to your aunt, it's hers.

Has grandmother passed away? If she had any life ins., it goes to the bene
named in the policy. The rest of her estate would be divided as per her
will or if she did not have a will per the intestate laws of the state she died
in. (or PR if she died there)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">