• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance on another person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tink11464

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Is it possible to find out if someone had a life insurance policy on another person? My mother-in-law passed and she had her children who struggled to pay funeral costs (life lesson - - invest in life insurance!!!). Her only other living relatives are an incapacitated husband who is in a nursing home and a sister - who was onlyyy concerned about getting a death certificate.

So 2 of the children are questioning why she would need the certificate as she barely had anything to do with her sister for years. My thoughts were "what does it matter, what is anyone going to do about it". Told my husband while I was on FreeAdvice.com I would check for them.

Thank You

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Is it possible to find out if someone had a life insurance policy on another person? My mother-in-law passed and she had her children who struggled to pay funeral costs (life lesson - - invest in life insurance!!!). Her only other living relatives are an incapacitated husband who is in a nursing home and a sister - who was onlyyy concerned about getting a death certificate.

So 2 of the children are questioning why she would need the certificate as she barely had anything to do with her sister for years. My thoughts were "what does it matter, what is anyone going to do about it". Told my husband while I was on FreeAdvice.com I would check for them.

Thank You

If she did have a policy, she would need a copy of the death certificate in order to get it paid out.

Tink11464

Thank you - - that's why they are thinking she's asking for death certificate. Even going to funeral home herself for it, yet having no parts in sister's illness (even though she was a nurse at her sister's hospital), or funeral plans, etc...

Thank you again!!

Tink11464

Yet - there is no way to no for sure - is that correct? As you would need to know the insurance company. Right?

Antigone*

Yet - there is no way to no for sure - is that correct? As you would need to know the insurance company. Right?
Whether or not sister is a beneficiary on a policy, is none of your business. If the policy is for a million bucks and she contributes nothing to the funeral, she is doing nothing illegal.

Tink11464

Zigner - that's what i said - - 2 of her kids were questioning it and I said the same thing - but said since I would be on here inquiring about something else I said I would ask.

Tink11464

Thank you everyone - - I said the same - anyone as far as I knew could have a policy on another person.

Antigone* - - Whether it was for a million dollars or a thousand dollars means nothing to me - but when a family is hurting I guess they look outwards to place that hurt and frustration. Sad but it does happen.

Thanks again

Betty

If there is a life ins. policy that is active (in force) & sister is the only beneficiary, she gets the proceeds. She can do with the proceeds as she wishes. It's nice to contribute toward the funeral expenses but the bene doesn't have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">