• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lifetime alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dequeendistress

What is the name of your state? al
If a person is awarded alimony for a period of 10 years and there is no stipulation stated in divorce/support agreement regarding remarriage. If the person remarries will this automatically null the alimony? Sorry about the misleading lifetime alimony subject the court orginally awarded lifetime alimony but later reduced the amount and the period to 10 years.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

dequeendistress said:
What is the name of your state? al
If a person is awarded alimony for a period of 10 years and there is no stipulation stated in divorce/support agreement regarding remarriage. If the person remarries will this automatically null the alimony? Sorry about the misleading lifetime alimony subject the court orginally awarded lifetime alimony but later reduced the amount and the period to 10 years.
Unless the alimony was awarded as an exchange for some part of the property settlement, upon your remarriage, your ex can ask the court to modify the alimony award.

dequeendistress

Parties agreed in the modification agreement at the last court date not to appeal for any changes of agreement again and it was part of the judgement. Inferring to me that the parties cannot ask for modifications and can only bring up contempt in future court actions. (But, of course I am not an attorney) Thank you for your help!

Bali Hai

dequeendistress said:
Parties agreed in the modification agreement at the last court date not to appeal for any changes of agreement again and it was part of the judgement. Inferring to me that the parties cannot ask for modifications and can only bring up contempt in future court actions. (But, of course I am not an attorney) Thank you for your help!
Under those conditions, you agreed not to appeal for changes.

Subsequent to that agreement, your re-marriage would be a material change in circumstances from the original alimony award. I believe that would open the door for the court to re-examine your/his situation.

Under most conditions, re-marriage voids alimony awards (with proper court orders). That's the law.

It would be cost effective if you could marry 4 or 5 times and collect alimony from them all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">