• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living in Deceased Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Otto_2000

New York

My parents are deceased and there are 4 heirs to the estate. One of the heirs is still living in the house of the estate, rent free, but paying all of her own expenses. Two of the heirs don't mind this arrangement because the house is being looked after, but one of the heirs is livid. She wants her to pay rent or get out.

Can she legally remain in the house rent free? It is 1/4 hers.

I am kinda dealing with the same thing about my mom's house. She just passed but my brother and his girlfriend was living there rent free when she died now they act like they own the place. she didnt have a will but my son is the overseerer of the estate. So all this has just happen and it will be months before anything is settled. My mom and dad always wanted my daughter and her children to have the house so they said she will always have a stable place to live. Most everyone knows that was their wish so i hope they act upon it. but the brother that is living in the house is a butttttttttttttt, so he will cause all kinds of trouble. I did hear once and i havent looked it up yet that if things get out of hand i can file a injuction to have him removed until the estate is settled???????? any advice anyone.

BlondiePB

Otto_2000 said:
New York

My parents are deceased and there are 4 heirs to the estate. One of the heirs is still living in the house of the estate, rent free, but paying all of her own expenses. Two of the heirs don't mind this arrangement because the house is being looked after, but one of the heirs is livid. She wants her to pay rent or get out.

What has the executor of the estate said about this?

HomeGuru

Otto_2000 said:
New York

**A: there is no free rent. The tenant owes the ESTATE fair market rental.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">