• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LL responsible for mailboxs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cocobunny

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I live in a medium sized apartment complex. There is a community mailbox location where each tenement has a key to his or her box [similar to the post office]. Due to the excessive amount of unsupervised children in the complex, vandalism has risen. They are wedging something in the mailbox doors and popping the door completely off (thus exposing your mail slot). My mail has been stolen (one instance the item was of value). And it is now at the point where I don't receive ANY mail at all!

I went to the rental office and I got the "Oh yea, were working on that" run around. The fact of the matter is, when I moved in I noticed one box had its door missing but thought nothing of it (that was 2 years ago....so No, they are not working on it).

QUESTION: Is the landlord responsible for the mailing unit that they have provided? Is there any legal recourse I can take?

Ps
And before you ask......I already went and got a PO BOX, but I am still randomly receiving mail.

Cvillecpm

Frankly * I applaud your landlord for NOT spending money to fix or replace vandalized mail boxes.

By residents not teaching their children not to destroy other peoples' property, they have invited this inconvenience AND the landlord does not have the responsibility for a resident getting hurt by someone trying to steal their checks from their mailbox...all residents should go to the post office and get a mail box like you have OR have direct deposit into their bank account so the temptation to damage mailboxes for checks is ELIMINATED!!

The LL provided mailboxes for the residents of the property. He is not responsible for the crime (theft of mail, vandalism, etc.) that occurs to the mailboxes he provided. I know of no requirement in OH that mailboxes be locked. He only provided that as a convenience for his residents. Mailboxes on the front of small apartment houses, duplexes, or single family houses do not have locks. Even unlocked, you have a box where your mail can be deposited, correct? Then he has provided what is required, a mail box to receive mail. If you want your mail to be secure, then you and other residents should rent a P.O. box and seal the mailbox at the complex closed with tape. Do a forwarding address for the post office to forward your mail from there to the P.O. box.

It is a shame that people do not teach their children to respect other's belongings. But then again, since an item of value was stolen from your mailbox, maybe it's not children doing this. Someone may be systematically popping those boxes open to get at people's checks. Was this reported to the post office?

DarkSoul

Tampering with mail boxes is a federal offense. If someone runs over a mail box with a car... And doesn't following the appropriate actions, they can be charged federally. Mail period is Federal. Theft, Vandalism, Heck if you just open someone else's mail, you can be federally charged. I would report these actions immediately to the officials in your area. Starting with the post office. Police Dept. And see what they tell you.

cocobunny

Vandalisim by teenagers

Thanks all for your helpful reply's.

1) I have spoken with the local Post Office about my missing package, but there was little they could do as it was a) not insured and b) they have a confirmation # saying it was delivered (I'm not trying to make this long or complicated but---- I had changed my mailing address to a PO BOX weeks before the stolen item. The substitute mail carrier still delivered my item to my address?!!! The post office says she shouldn't have. When my regular carrier is on vacation or what not, then this is when I get random mail. Thus the PO BOX has become mute. So I will have to become a little more stern with my local PO)

2) Isn't the LL liable for damages occurring to a mailbox he supplied? It is metal and has several sharp edges. I'm surprised no one has cut themselves. With several exposed doors, it just escalates the probability to danger. (why supply an item and then not maintain it? Even if it is vandalism. It is bringing the property value down and its a bad look as you drive through the complex)

3) It was not a check, it was an item bought on Ebay. (I have purchased from this buyer before and they send their items in those large plastic mailing bags. It can be scrunched and pushed into a mailing slot. If the mail slot was exposed, it would be obvious that the package was of value, so that's why they stole it)

4) It is kids, not adults. Lots of teenagers and middleschoolers. We have a curfew -- its ignored.

5) I have run a secret test for the past week. I have placed unwanted or misdirected mail into my slot. I come back the next day, and it is gone. Someone is watching when the mail is delivered. If I had a motion sensitive camera or a time elapsed camera, I would love to catch whomever in the act.

At this point I will be contacting my attorney and perhaps he can write a letter to the LL. I will also be contacting my local PO and encourage them to retrain their carriers. Thank you all once again.

Last edited:
The mailboxes are in a common area, outside of the your rented unit. It is impossible for the LL to police the common areas. Those children's parents are responsible for controlling them, not the LL. If curfews are ignored, call the police. Likewaise if you see a child damaging something. The LL did not cause the mailbox problem, nor is he the party responsible for it. Tape the box closed, and mark "forwarded to P.O. box" on it.

One other problem is that once you put up a mialbox, it actually belongs to the P.O., not the property owner. Try taking down a mailbox and see what a stink the post office makes. The Owner has to supply a mail box. He has done that. Now it belongs to the P.O. If they are not satisfied with them, they will notify the owner and hold all mail to them until he complies. And I really doubt anyone thinks property values are falling because of a few bad mailboxes.

As the post office said, you did not have the item shipped by insured mail. The package disappeared. If you paid with a credit card, you might find you have some protection for your purchase. The same thing could happen with any package sent to your unit that was too large to fit into the box. It could disappear. This is why items should be sent insured, especially if they are of value.

Are there any units that face the mailboxes? Have a talk with this resident. Maybe they can watch the area right after the mail is delivered and see which kids are taking the mail. Then you can go after those children's parents for the cost of the missing item, and the LL can go after them for the damages to the mailboxes. Maybe you could set up a video camera in their window aimed at the boxes and put in a 6 hour tape? With evidence like that you could sue the parents and so could the LL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">