• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LL wants to renovate floors for new tenant before my lease is up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stuartscanlon

Ca, Los Angeles.

I'm about two weeks to the end of my lease. Landlord wants to rip up some kitchen and bathroom flooring, which is in fine shape, per new tenants request before I am moved out. Seems a bit odd. Does this qualify as making the unit uninhabitable as CA law requires a kitchen and bathroom in working order be available? What should I be asking for here or do I just have to take it on the chin.

thans much for your thoughts

LdiJ

Ca, Los Angeles.

I'm about two weeks to the end of my lease. Landlord wants to rip up some kitchen and bathroom flooring, which is in fine shape, per new tenants request before I am moved out. Seems a bit odd. Does this qualify as making the unit uninhabitable as CA law requires a kitchen and bathroom in working order be available? What should I be asking for here or do I just have to take it on the chin.

thans much for your thoughts
You don't have to "take it on the chin" at all. You can say no. The law does not permit your landlord to leave you without a functioning kitchen and bathroom.

FarmerJ

Yup tell the LL NO and take pics now and make it clear to your LL that you will not tolerate this kind of disruption that interferes with your use of the unit that you have paid for. If your LL does it anyway call building inspections in and complain loud ( I say to call in inspections because if the LL does it anyway a inspections report and pics of the before and stages of tear down should give you what you need to show the courts that you were constructively evicted by your LL and should be refunded rent money and deposits with no hassle and something to penalize the LL for constructively evicting you. ( Since LA is tenant friendly have you spoken to one of the tenant advocate groups ? )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">