• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Distance and marraige

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmn0548

What is the name of your state? TX

Me and my gf are plannin to get married and she is a US citizen, I am not. Everything was going good, when we hit a little roadblock.

We both work in texas (big city) and thats how we met. But she wants to goto school and get a 2 year degree and I was okay with that. BUT she got an offer of a full scholarship in a university in Nevada.

I don't want to put her plans on hold because of me. I want what is best for her, and I come second. Would our marraige work (we know it will work personally) for immigration purposes?

If my wife lives in another state and goes to school there solely because they offered a scholarship, and I continue to work in Texas and support her would it cause problems in paperwork/interviews/other immigration based factors for marraige based green cards?

Thanks for the space, we are so confused :confused:

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, the immigration process will work as well if it is a bona fide marriage but it will be critical to OVERDOCUMENT the marriage and have perhaps extra supporting documentation because you will be residing in two different places.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

cmn0548

Lana,
whe you mention overdocument what are you reffering to?
additional documents such as? scholorship offers, university transcripts, proof of enrollment, etc etc?

what are the documents usually required as proof of a bona fide marraige?

Thank you for your prompt responses Lana, as always you are always on top of helping us out. I cannot thank you enough and stress how much we appreciate your advice. :eek:

ImmigAttyLana

No, I mean more proof of the bona fides of your marriage such as joint leases in both places, joint bank accounts in both places, proof of you visiting one another on a regular basis, etc.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

cmn0548

Ahh i understand now. Wouldnt a bank account not be 'local' and if we had a bank account here and we are joint owners, wouldnt it still count as joint even tho she is in another state? i thought bank accounts were national.

anyways i see your point about joint leases, and visitation proof. Is there any website that would point me to the documents required, other than the immigraion forms?

Thanks again

ImmigAttyLana

As far as bank accounts are concerned, it would really depend on whether the same bank had branches in both places, etc. since she will likely have an account opened with a local bank or branch of the same bank( if available) for purposes of using local checks, etc.

But you see my point about what documentation is required. This was just an example of the type of things you'd have to present.

cmn0548

thanks lana, i see your point. It should be clearly visible that we are married throu bona fide, which shouldnt be a problem. I will look around for the documents/ways to prove this. they should be available somewhere on the internet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">