• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long distance carrier fraudulently added to my phone.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom6399

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

What recourse do I have with a long-distance carrier who has been billing me for 19 months?

I recently changed service with my telephone. In going through the bill (which I know I should do regularly, but did not), my company noted a third party billing for long distance service since April 09 buried on page 9.

I contacted the long distance carrier and they sent me the LOA which contained the name, address, birthdate, IP address the application was sent from and other info...none of which match me, other than my phone number.

They are willing to refund only 'up to' six months of the payment that have been billed through my local company.

What are the third party electronic verification 'rules'? It's pretty clear no verification took place.

Am I entitled to receive a full refund or only the 6 months the companies 'policy' states?

Thanks!

What you're describing is called "slamming" and it's done quite often. I had it happen to our service several times ~ eventually, I had a "lock" put on our account with our telephone service provider. They simply put a "freeze" on your account that can't be changed willy-nilly without intensive steps to verify your identity and whether or not you're authorized to change said service.

Here's a link for more information on "slamming" and what your rights are as re reimbursement (assuming that you've paid for the service):

FCC - Slamming

Scroll down for information on what to do if you've already paid for the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">