• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long distance visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mehr

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Child's father lives in Minnesota. What is the typical visitation for long distance? It would be impossible money-wise to do every other weekend. Also, do we split the cost of travelling, or does one parent or the other pay?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
One w/e a month, alternating school breaks and holidays, and a large chunk of time in the summer (6+ weeks). Transportation may be split, or the person who created the distance may be required to provide it all.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
One w/e a month, alternating school breaks and holidays, and a large chunk of time in the summer (6+ weeks). Transportation may be split, or the person who created the distance may be required to provide it all.
I agree...however MN to IL could be further than would be feasible for the one w/e a month....depending on where each parent is located within those two states....they are large ones.

They could be as little as 300 miles apart, or as much as 1100 miles apart.

Last edited:

mehr

I do not live near too Chicago, we live down state. We are 9 hours from Minneapolis and 3 hours from Chicago. Also, the child is not in school, he is only 14 months. Is it the same arrangement?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
mehr said:
I do not live near too Chicago, we live down state. We are 9 hours from Minneapolis and 3 hours from Chicago. Also, the child is not in school, he is only 14 months. Is it the same arrangement?
Let's start with who moved. I'm not about to go back and search for that info.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Okay. What does Dad want in terms of visitation? 'Cause I'm sure you understand that, by being the one who moved, you may be required to cover the entire cost of transportation.

mehr

Right now, he wants to see him once every few months. He says when he gets older, he may want to see him more often. Does it really make a difference that I moved when at the time he said he wasn't ready to be a father and had no interest?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course it does. You created the issue of making it more difficult for them to have a relationship. How would YOU like to pay extra if he'd moved further away?

mehr

I see. Well, I DID pay extra, I paid for the hospital that cost me 3000 dollars and had to give up my job because I was unable to work. :D So yeah... not feeling sorry for him.... is there a law that says that it is my fault? Because the way I see it, my move was his fault :eek:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Were you in a LEGALLY commited relationship (i.e. - were y'all married?). If not, he had no financial obligation to you whatsoever. And yes, your move was your choice. And if it made a relationship between parent & child more difficult, you should be held responsible for forging that bond.

mehr

Whether or not you feel I *should*, is there a law or a sub-law or something that says it?

No we were not married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">