• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

long support collection process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbt724

What is the name of your state? PA

My question ........... is there anything I can do to enforce the collection of my child support? Here is a brief summary of my situuation -support order filed December '01 -my x found in contempt of order October '02 -Bench warrant issued June '03(still not served) -Court order is for $469 + $20 arrears and if I am lucky I get $100....... if there is no recourse why should he pay? What can I do to get someone to actually do something to enforce any of this? Contempt hearings and bench warrants are just empty threats if no one does anything about it. I call the county courthouse regularly, and evertime I am given different info that tells me nothing.........Help, please.

VeronicaGia

jbt724 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

My question ........... is there anything I can do to enforce the collection of my child support? Here is a brief summary of my situuation -support order filed December '01 -my x found in contempt of order October '02 -Bench warrant issued June '03(still not served) -Court order is for $469 + $20 arrears and if I am lucky I get $100.......

**$100 a month? If so, is it possible he 's not making enough money to pay $489? An employer is limited by federal law on what can be garnished from an employees pay.

if there is no recourse why should he pay? What can I do to get someone to actually do something to enforce any of this? Contempt hearings and bench warrants are just empty threats if no one does anything about it. I call the county courthouse regularly, and evertime I am given different info that tells me nothing.........Help, please.
**If they cannot find him to serve him, that's a problem. If they can find him, serve him and do nothing afterwards, you're just going to have to make a point by calling CSE every day and insisting they enforce their court order.

J

jbt724

He works in the restaurant industry, so unfortunately there are no wages to garnish but I do update the state everytime he changes jobs so they can at least send the letter requesting the garnishment. They have his current address, and employer so I don't see why there should be any reason finding him I just don't think that they have even tried because the warrant is issued in Deleware County and he lives and works in Philadelphia county.

As far as available funds go and what he can afford ....... he has been seen(even by me personally) spending $$ in various bars and restaurants, he has no problem making his rent, bought a new car last year and just took a week off from work to go on a vacation to Canada. If he has funds for all of these things there is NO excuse to be over $6000 in arrears!!

So I am still back to where I started......

VeronicaGia

My guess is he waits tables or bartends. If so, there's no way his employer can garnish more than he makes or even more than the federal limit. It sounds like it's left up to him to pay or not.

You can take him in for contempt time and again, see if that does the trick. Eventually a judge will want to suspend his license and threaten jail time. That might help. Or you can decide if all this is really worth it to you, since now that there is a court order, he will owe this forever. If you decide not to constantly pursue it, you will want to at least take him to court yearly and make sure the court has not forgotten about you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">