• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for a forensic accountant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steffenfield

This can be done through anyone within the States, they just need online and internet access, yes?

I'm seeing that the average cost is no less than $300 an hour to mostly $500.

It's expensive, I think I can pay this now, but how long of a time is such a service needed?

I can probably only pay about three hours with such charges.

Things I would like to know are, my parent's life insurance policies, and my own (their was one in my name), their savings and any investments, property value of their home (where my sister now lives), and her possible tax fraud, vehicles and their worth, the amount she borrowed before the passing of my father, and all other assets and documentations my sister refuses to share.

I don't know her address (somehow my late father and her address is not online anymore) and I also don't have her SS#.

I just have a Facebook of hers that I blocked and a telephone number.

It's been about 500 days now without knowing what she has done, so I would like for someone that can look back in time on what was wasted or done with it all.

A freelance would be nice but I need to see this fully through.

PM me if it would be awkward to share here.

Anyone else, I would like a referral on who to hire so that I might finally know the truth.

Please and thank you.

From Rogers City, MI, 49779

She lives somewhere (maybe) in Muskegon, MI, 49441.

quincy

This can be done through anyone within the States, they just need online and internet access, yes?

I'm seeing that the average cost is no less than $300 an hour to mostly $500.

It's expensive, I think I can pay this now, but how long of a time is such a service needed?

I can probably only pay about three hours with such charges.

Things I would like to know are, my parent's life insurance policies, and my own (their was one in my name), their savings and any investments, property value of their home (where my sister now lives), and her possible tax fraud, vehicles and their worth, the amount she borrowed before the passing of my father, and all other assets and documentations my sister refuses to share.

I don't know her address (somehow my late father and her address is not online anymore) and I also don't have her SS#.

I just have a Facebook of hers that I blocked and a telephone number.

It's been about 500 days now without knowing what she has done, so I would like for someone that can look back in time on what was wasted or done with it all.

A freelance would be nice but I need to see this fully through.

PM me if it would be awkward to share here.

Anyone else, I would like a referral on who to hire so that I might finally know the truth.

Please and thank you.

From Rogers City, MI, 49779

She lives somewhere (maybe) in Muskegon, MI, 49441.
This forum does not provide referrals. Sorry.

quincy

Sorry.

I must have forgotten about the no referrals rule on this site.

My apologies.
There is no need to apologize. Your request for referrals is not an uncommon one. We are just unable to provide them here. To do so violates the terms and conditions of the forum.

You should look to resources in your area for a forensic accountant to assist you.

Good luck.

Steffenfield

I tried to hire a great prospect through an online site.

This offer was declined because he stated that a forensic accountant can only look at paperwork I already have.

I know nothing and thought this is something a forensic accountant could do for me.

I feel so lost right now.

Dandy Don

What kind of tax fraud do you think she has committed?

Did your parents have a last will and testament?

Did you check the county courthouse to see if anything has been filed regarding their estates?

Please explain more about what you think has happened and why you want to have her investigated.

You can do a search online using the search term, in beginning and ending parentheses: "forensic accounting muskegon mi"

It's not exactly certain whether a forensic accountant is what you need if you are talking about probate matters--I thought they focused more on companies rather than individuals. Is it possible that a private investigator would serve your needs better?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
DandyDon, there's more info in one of his other threads on the same topic: https://forum.freeadvice.com/wills-trusts-estate-planning-113/how-receive-copies-all-documents-full-accounting-all-assets-645220.html

ALawyer

Forensic Experts Generally Accept Assignments Only from Attorneys

For whatever it is worth, most folks who serve as forensic experts or expert witnesses are reluctant to accept assignments other than from attorneys. When an attorney hires an expert, the work done by the expert is protected from discovery by adverse parties. Further, the expert knows s/he is dealing with someone familiar with the rules of the game and is less likely to be "used" or become tied up with something that s/he may later regret. Experts also are likely to have greater confidence in terms of being paid for the work.

Steffenfield

What kind of tax fraud do you think she has committed?

I shouldn't have said that and I am wrong for saying this.

Her husband spent a year in prison for fraud, and I assumed she was like minded.

Did your parents have a last will and testament?

Yes. But looking over what was given to me, there are pages missing.

Did you check the county courthouse to see if anything has been filed regarding their estates?
Yes. She never file through Probate.

Please explain more about what you think has happened and why you want to have her investigated.
I think she feels entitled to it all.

She either reframes or redirects any questions.

And it's so obvious too.

Like when I ask what was left for us, she'll say, "Well, dad's pension stopped after he died."

Nothing else provided.

You can do a search online using the search term, in beginning and ending parentheses: "forensic accounting muskegon mi"

I found someone.

He seems super awesome and I already like him very much.

It was a little weird though at first, to initially go away from the online hiring site, like he had requested, and straight to personal emails.

It's not exactly certain whether a forensic accountant is what you need if you are talking about probate matters--I thought they focused more on companies rather than individuals. Is it possible that a private investigator would serve your needs better?

I'm not looking for any portion of my inheritance anymore.

I gave that up about a year ago.

I just want someone to rifle through on what should have been, if that makes any sense.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not looking for any portion of my inheritance anymore.

I gave that up about a year ago.

I just want someone to rifle through on what should have been, if that makes any sense.
The phrase you're looking for is throwing good money after bad...except your skipped right to the end-point of throwing away good money.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Things I would like to know are, my parent's life insurance policies, and my own (their was one in my name), their savings and any investments, property value of their home (where my sister now lives), and her possible tax fraud, vehicles and their worth, the amount she borrowed before the passing of my father, and all other assets and documentations my sister refuses to share....
What, exactly, do you think a forensic accountant can do for you if you don't have documents for him to look through? How do you think you'll force your sister to give you any documentation?

LdiJ

The job of a forensic accountant is to look through the books or records of an organization or person, to find out whether or not those books or records are accurate, or reflective of any fraud or crime.

I think that perhaps what you really want is a private investigator. You might possibly need a forensic accountant after that.

Steffenfield

Thank you all very kindly on each of your responses.

I guess I had a complete misunderstanding on what I thought a forensic accountant was able to provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">