• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost Rental Agreement to Prove Domestic Partnership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Something is not making sense here. If you have a life insurance policy with your daughter as the beneficiary, how does your boyfriend come into it at all, regardless of whether he is a domestic partner?

adjusterjack

As best as I can make out, the boyfriend was the insured through her employer. It's possible that the employer's group life insurance was not available to non-spouses unless that non-spouse was a domestic partner. Group life insurance is guaranteed issue during the enrollment period and very little information is asked about the insured. The insurance underwriter relies on the truthfulness of whatever is on the enrollment form because even a group life insurance policy might have the two year contestability provision. Hence my question as to when he became insured. If it was within the last two years the information on the enrollment form gets verified at the time of the claim, not at the time of enrollment. If she cannot document that he was a domestic partner at the time of the enrollment there might not be any coverage.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Seems to me, then, that there are two polices; one with the OP as the insured and one with the boyfriend, each of which has the daughter as the beneficiary (which is unusual in itself - we don't allow our spousal/domestic partners to have anyone but the employee as the beneficiary). But the OP sounds as if she's talking a single policy.

Dandy Don

What month and what year did the boyfriend die?

Ask the property managers/landlord for a copy of the lease that is currently in force (or that was in force this year or for any previous year) and I'm sure they can provide you with that. It doesn't necessarily have to be the "original" lease--exactly how many years did your boyfriend live there?
Was YOUR name specifically listed on the lease? Was management officially notified or informed that you were a resident there? If y'our name was not listed on the lease, then do not ask for a copy of the lease.

Is it possible that you could produce a copy of any previous year's state income tax return or federal income tax return that would show both your names? If you don't have copies of the returns on file at home you can request a copy from the relevant state or federal agency.

Other items to consider:
  • Common ownership of a car or other property (joint deed or mortgage agreement)
  • Driver's licenses listing a common address
  • Proof of joint bank accounts or credit card accounts and loans
  • Designation as the primary beneficiary for life insurance, retirement benefits, or under a partner's will
  • Assignment of power of attorneys
Many Florida cities ask for residents to sign and submit a Domestic Partner Registration that is filed with the city? Did you or your boyfriend remember ever doing that?

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Now that I seem to be finally on the right page, I think that the issue is not, were they domestic partners this year or last year; it's, were they domestic partners at the time the policy was taken out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">