• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

about 4 years ago my husband went threw an endless amount of tests to find out what was wrong with him. he changed drs. april of 99 . since then his systems returned. we contacted our previous dr. to get his medical records and he said they have been destroyed. he went threw a numerous amount of all kinds of test. can a doctor detroy your medical records? we think he has something to hide.. now we have to try to remember all the drs. and tests he went threw before he sees this other specialists. even our new family drs. could't get them from him.. should we get legal help?



Dear Jayn;

Most states have rules regarding the length of time a physician and/or medical facility must keep a patients records.

If you have made earnest attempts to obtain your husband medical records and the physician refuses to cooperate, I suggest you notify the medical licensing board in your state and file a complaint against the physician. Most likely, they will conduct an investigation and help you get the records if they haven't been destroyed.

Best of luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential