• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lump Sum Pension Payout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desertcelt

Arizona.
Considering taking a former employer's pension cash out. Small pension of ~$26K. I understand the required withholding of 20% for federal taxes but I want to know what my tax liability will be when I file my 2019 taxes next year. What is the best way to figure this out?
Household AGI last year was about $162K. Also want to know my state tax liability.
Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

Arizona.
Considering taking a former employer's pension cash out. Small pension of ~$26K. I understand the required withholding of 20% for federal taxes but I want to know what my tax liability will be when I file my 2019 taxes next year. What is the best way to figure this out?
Household AGI last year was about $162K. Also want to know my state tax liability.
Thanks in advance.
You really need to see a local tax pro who can run the numbers for you. However, I can give you a brief idea. Your federal marginal tax rate is likely going to be between 22-24% depending on your filing status and overall tax attributes. The Arizona income tax rates are between 2.59-4.54%

Therefore you are likely to owe a little more, federally, than they would withhold, and unless you convince them to withhold state taxes, you will owe those as well.

adjusterjack

Arizona.
Thanks in advance.
Consider rolling that money into a regular IRA , avoid withholding, and defer the taxes. I did that a few years ago with a $25K pension cash out.

At your income level you could lose about 1/3 of that money to the IRS and Arizona.

Dandy Don

You can subscribe to any of the online tax preparation software sites, such as TurboTax or others, and plug your numbers in to get a realistic estimate of what your liability will be.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">