• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lying Neighbors, unfair and uncooperative landlords

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herkimer10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am located near Buffalo, NY.
Since the day we moved in there was issues. The previous tenants had left furniture in here and we had to wait for someone to come and take it out of here. We have pictures. Also there was no shower head, a knob on the shower was broken, two outlet covers were missing, and the carpets were filthy and could still probably be replaced. Once the furniture was finally removed, which took about 3 days, a mattress that was left behind was left at the curb for 2 or so weeks. Again, it was left behind by the previous tenants. The one landlord (they are a husband and wife who live in NJ) was hounding us after she found out the garbage people did not pick it up. I finally said politely that it is not our responsibility to do so and not only that but it snows a lot here and it had been covered in snow and weighed well over 200lbs (a queen sized mattress that soaked up snow...) They also tried to sell the furniture to us before finally having someone come and get rid of it, their ad also said the apt was partially furnished, not mentioning that you had to buy the furniture. It was not move-in ready, my girlfriend and I spent our time and money cleaning the carpets, replacing the shower head, shower knob, and outlet covers. Also there is still tools here from whoever worked on it last. Previous tenants also left food in fridge and freezer that we had to dispose of. One of the previous did come to get some of her stuff which her and her old roommate still have a key to the top lock on front door and bed room doors.

The neighbors are also an issue. Oddly, our garbage can was packed even before we moved in as every apt in the building has their own can. After we took it out, someone kept using it. we notified the landlords, who told us that other people had also made the same complaint before we had moved in and they told us since they are not there they can't do anything but tell everyone to use their own cans. It continued once more then stopped. We know its the neighbors below us because they overflow their can and have the same types of things in their can that was being put in ours. Not only that but the same day we made the 1st complaint of someone using our garbage, the people below us lied to the landlords saying we were making lots of noise when I was on the computer and my girlfriend cooking dinner. At night, there had been issues with noise from below. Too bad to the point where it prompted me to text my landlord at an early hour of the morning because they had woke us up and we are both deep sleepers. He said he'd "have a talk" with them. Didn't seem to do much good. Problems continued, as we had decided to call the cops a few times because there was noise after 10pm and it was beyond reason. WE notified the landlords with little to no feedback. We've made several complaints since then. One night, my girlfriend and I had an argument, the people below called the cops and made us fill out a report of what happened. That was around 8:30-9:00pm. Later that night, around 11:00-11:30pm, we were woken up by commotion from below. I was caught up in the moment and gave a bang on the floor with my foot for them to quiet down. Someone responded by hitting the ceiling (our floor) 10x's harder and with the mother yelling we have a cop outside so we can file a report. I yelled down the stairs, verbatim, "Quiet, people are trying to sleep", and then she ran up to the cop saying I was yelling at her and MF'ing her like crazy and I did nothing of the sort. Since we started contacting them to even look at the apt up til even right now, there has been issues with our landlords mixing us up with other people. They don't seem to have us as contacts in their phones. We were barraged with condescending questions of being able to afford the apartment and assuming we could not.

Anyhow, after repeated attempts at phone calls and texts, which were ignored like many others, we finally got a hold of them and had a conference call consisting of my girlfriend, me, and both landlords. They sounded bothered, almost attacking us at one point saying they don't know if they should toss us both out or what. We repeated to them that we did not do what the people below claimed, I admitted to the floor pounding because of them waking us up and telling them to be quiet only for the fact that it was cause we were woken up out of a dead sleep and did not know there was an officer there or we would have just talked with him. The night of that incident prompted us to go to the police station at 1am because we could not sleep because we were worried we'd get in trouble because of the neighbor lying about what was said. When explaining this to the landlords who are in NJ, they said they cant say anything because they weren't there but they also said they know something we might not think they know. I asked them to please tell us cause were not hiding anything. They then brought up an accusation made that I was yelling obscenities (even though they weren't here) and insisted that I did and would not believe us but were believing the people below who lied about it. They would not let that go even though they didn't want to hear what the people below us did and would not believe us and kept saying they weren't here they don't know but they for whatever reason believed that I was yelling stuff that I was in fact not. They said to record stuff anyway we can, including proof that the people below keep using the broken washing machine when even has been told not to and they keep cluttering up the laundry area with their clothes. Which when that was brought up on the phone, and the whole reason we were talking was because of all the issues, we were told was irrelevant. I had just texted because they were not here cause they live in NJ to do a walk thru when we first got here and we want a check list to have proof of pre-existing conditions, when I had just texted him he confused us with another tenant and when I said who I was, he did not acknowledge my original inquiry about him sending us one and has not replied since. They neglect us and our issues, and also contemplated throwing us out as they said on the phone when all we have done is complained about the people below who have been here for 10years and caused other tenants to complain, and the only issue we had was the fight between my girlfriend and I, which is no ones business. I tried to explain as much as possible. I do have more info.

We do not want problems with anyone, we work hard and just want peace and quiet when we sleep as we get up at 5:30am, the people below are liars and are obnoxious with the level of noise and are disgusting with their habits (garbage, laundry), and the landlords don't seem to care to help nor can they seem to provide us with reasonable conditions as far as quiet late at night. They seem to think that they should kick us out or ignore us, if they reply, they think were someone else or say they are too busy and don't reply again until multiple more attempts. We are taking pics, documenting things as well and backing up texts, emails, and phone call logs.

If anyone can help us out, please do, it would be much appreciated. We are worried about them not being cooperative with getting our security deposit back also because of their neglect in handling issues and not believing us, we have only lived here since 01/24/11. If there is anything we can do to protect ourselves, please let us know. Also if anyone is in the area that can provide any help. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

divona2000

Way too long, please cut it back to just facts and necessary information, then the folks who can answer your questions will be more likely to read your post.
Put in 'white space', not a continuous roll of words.

ENASNI

oh Me gosh

I hope someone ( YAG?) can read this. but poster really... use paragraphs. I saw your plight, then saw your post. This is soooo hard to read.

Try to edit or something, you might get some help, okay? Okay. my work is done here. time for sauna.

Herkimer10

Sorry, just caught up in everything... Basically the people get away with whatever, lying and being obnoxious at night and the landlords are not helping out at all and don't show signs of caring. When finally confronted on the phone, they were not fair and not understanding or believing of us, just the people below, who lied to the police about what was said.

Herkimer10

We needed a place fast, we were living with my brother before. Was a temp situation til we could find our own place. Before that we lived with a friend of mine who did not want to continue the lease.

applecruncher

We needed a place fast
Well, you got one. And despite all the issues you signed a lease - right? - and moved in. Seems Buffalo would have more than one place to rent - unless you have some problems in your rental history.

divona2000

OK. It basically boils down to this:

...near Buffalo, NY.

previous tenants had left furniture...we had to wait for someone to come and take it out...

landlord...tried to sell the furniture to us...their ad also said the apt was partially furnished, not mentioning that you had to buy the furniture...

It was not move-in ready...

One of the previous...old roommate still have a key to the top lock on front door and bed room doors...

neighbors are also an issue...our garbage can...someone kept using it...notified the landlords, who told us that other people had also made the same complaint...

people below us lied to the landlords saying we were making lots of noise...there had been issues with noise from below...it prompted me to text my landlord at an early hour of the morning...we had decided to call the cops a few times because there was noise after 10pm...
my girlfriend and I had an argument, the people below called the cops...we were woken up by commotion from below. I...gave a bang on the floor with my foot for them to quiet down. Someone responded by hitting the ceiling (our floor)...mother yelling we have a cop outside...I yelled down the stairs...

When explaining this to the landlords...They said to record stuff anyway we can...

They neglect us and our issues...contemplated throwing us out as they said on the phone...

landlords don't seem to care to help nor can they seem to provide us with reasonable conditions as far as quiet late at night. They seem to think that they should kick us out or ignore us....

Gail in Georgia

" the people below are liars and are obnoxious with the level of noise and are disgusting with their habits (garbage, laundry), and the landlords don't seem to care to help nor can they seem to provide us with reasonable conditions as far as quiet late at night. They seem to think that they should kick us out or ignore us, if they reply, they think were someone else or say they are too busy and don't reply again until multiple more attempts."

You're living in an ant hill (i.e., an apartment situation). Things like complaints about noise or messy neighbors are common. You complain that they make noise, they complain you make noise; you and your girlfriend have a fight and they call the cops, later you act like a child stomping on the floor, they respond by hitting the ceiling and reporting you to the cops.

What do you expect a landlord to do? After listening to all your silly complaints, the landlord should set both you and the other tenant in the corner of half an hour and then both to bed without supper.

Gail

ENASNI

?

" the people below are liars and are obnoxious with the level of noise and are disgusting with their habits (garbage, laundry), and the landlords don't seem to care to help nor can they seem to provide us with reasonable conditions as far as quiet late at night. They seem to think that they should kick us out or ignore us, if they reply, they think were someone else or say they are too busy and don't reply again until multiple more attempts."

You're living in an ant hill (i.e., an apartment situation). Things like complaints about noise or messy neighbors are common. You complain that they make noise, they complain you make noise; you and your girlfriend have a fight and they call the cops, later you act like a child stomping on the floor, they respond by hitting the ceiling and reporting you to the cops.

What do you expect a landlord to do? Gail
After listening to all your silly complaints, the landlord should set both you and the other tenant in the corner of half an hour and then both to bed without supper.
wish it was legal. Is it? Let us ask? I know a forum! :)

atomizer

Your tenancy would be too much for me. I would say both upstairs and downstair tenants need to go. If you have a lease, ask for a written release. You have an absentee LL and that is never good when you have feuding tenants.

Herkimer10

Your tenancy would be too much for me. I would say both upstairs and downstair tenants need to go. If you have a lease, ask for a written release. You have an absentee LL and that is never good when you have feuding tenants.
Really? We never did anything that would be grounds for eviction. WE cleaned up the other peoples mess which is the landlords responsibility and we are dealing with white trash below us. What is wrong with you people? This forum is a joke.

Herkimer10

You obviously don't know that tenants have a right to a peaceful and habitable living situation and if we are the ones with the problems, if we were to get kicked out cause of it, we could sue for our rent money back. Neglectful, bush league landlords (like what you would seem to be) would get sued for not holding up your end of the deal. And "Gail", you just disgust me. I bet you haven't gotten laid in years! Bitter old lady, how sad. I'd be nice about things, but since you made that unnecessary reply to my post I couldn't hold back. You should just keep your mouth shut. This is suppose to be a place to get HELPFUL info, not negative opinions from people who don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">