• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

manager witholding my mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lnonfn

Hi. I live in a fairly large rental complex in So.CA that is corporately owned and managed by a management co. Their ad slogan on everything is "the perfect place to live" ha! I came home last night and found a note on my door, it was a 3-day notice to remove a pumpkin from my balcony and a wooden pumpkin decoration from my front railing(Thanksgiving decorations) I did so immediately. This afternoon I went into the office to retrieve a parcel and also to pick up a check that I had asked my bank to overnite to me. First they asked if I had seen their note, I replied that I had and that it had been taken care of, I even apologized for not reemoving them sooner. The manager and the asst.mgr (who happens to be my next door neighbor) said that they would have to check it out before I could have my pkgs. Ok fine I waited while they went to see. They returned a few moments later and said well ok, but they found my balcony had some other objectionable items and that they would hold my maail until I made the corrections ,and came back and they could check it again. I live in the 2nd floor and my balcony is no more less tidy or crowded than any of the others. They were objecting to a cardboard box and a paper bag. both of which I had brought baack from the nursery. I was so mad I couldn't even speak. Isn't this cosidered interfering with the mail? How best should I handle this I have a lease with 8 mos. left on it but I totally resent the lack of respect they showed treating me as if I was a bad child but I am really angry with them for holding my maail.Especially my check which I told them I needed to get into my checking acct today! What should I do? Thanks

T

TimC

I am no expert at real estate law, but I am quite certain it is illegal for ANYONE to interfere with your mail. It is a federal matter, too. A quick call to the local Postmaster General should give you that answer.

L

lnonfn

Thank you Tim, that's a good idea. I'm just not sure how agressively I should approach the management, wwould it be better to not say anything to them and go directly to the owner or what. I really don't want to turn this into a situation that makes my living here till my lease is up more more tense but yet I want them to treat me in a respectable manner and to not have something so petty turn into what it is now. thanks again

HomeGuru

It is illegal, but not only that, there are severe penalties from fines to imprisonment. So when you call the Postmaster to inquire ask what the penalties are.

You want to make some trouble? For Christmas, hang a cross w/holly on your door. If they tell you to remove it tell them you are exercising your freedom of religion.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Interference with mail is a federal offense.

V

VictoryBlue

I had this happen

In my former former residence, the landlord and their family lived next door and owned the three family house I lives in plus their own, of course. They provided one mailbox for over 4 families. We were not allowed to have our own mailbox and the mail was delivered in one big stack so we had to go through each piece. The landlord would leaf through and comment on our mail and also a few times they just took the stack into their house and we had to wait for them to bring OURS out again.

We got in touch with the Postmaster but let me warn you that you will probably have to be very tenacious to get results. We were told they would be watched and all, but they were never "caught". The funny thing was the landlord worked for the Postal Service.

this is a very touchy situation and I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to be seen as a troublemaker. But these peopl need to know that you're not trying to cause trouble, in fact you complied immediately with their requests so there are no grounds to "punish" you or commit a crime by witholding your mail.

best of luck to you, I feel for you, I really do.

Sorry, forgot to put the state of this occurence. It was NY.

L

LL

Is it you mail that is being held back?

You went to pick up a parcel and something that had been overnighted. Is that through the US Mail or some parcel service? The Postmaster can't help you with private parcel services.

Also, maybe the office is not obligated to accept parcels (or even mail) for you. After you get this immediate problem straightened out, maybe you want to obtain a postal box, US Mail or private.

I'm a landlord in So. California, and I don't allow my office to accept anything on behalf of the tenants.

V

VictoryBlue

younglsm, I think if they were not allowed to accept parcels they would not have had the parcel to withhold from the tenant. He would not have asked the question if they did not have "custody" of his mail in the first place. They should have refused it from the deliverer if that was the case. Clearly they accepted it and must psss it to its rightful owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">