• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Manufacturing Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I have been involved in a messy divorce for the past 6 months. Back in December I left my house locked up and went out of state to receive medical attention for back problems. While I was out of town my wife broke into my house and was living there without my permission and knowledge for several months. When I sent local police to try to remove her she presented the officers with some marijuana that she claimed was mine. There was also some grow lights in a closet in one of the bedrooms. There was a total of around two ounces according to police. My lawyer says that I have an indictment waiting on me for when I return. I would like to know how long the statute of limitations is on the crime of manufacturing marijuana. How can I be charged with any of this when I was 700 miles away and she was the one living there illegally? As soon as I found out she was staying at the house (which is in my Mother's name) she was taken to court and forced to move out. Does this offense affect my drivers license, will I be arrested if my license is checked in another state? Any advice you could give me would greatly be appreciated.



1. In most states, the statute of limitations is put on hold while a defendant's out of state, so it doesn't matter how long you wait to return.

2. If you were gone 6 months, the mj had to be grown by her - mj plants mature quicker than 6 months. Also, the plants would have died from lack of water even if you planted them right before leaving. Can you prove you never returned during the 6 months?

3. Pull the power consumption records for your house. Grow lights & exhaust fans suck power, and a significant increase in Kwhrs after you left would support the contention that the grow lights were installed after you left.

4. The state may be prosecuting you as an accomplice. You say you didn't know about her occupying the house and evicted her as soon as you learned. You never knew about the mj. She will say you offered her the house to grow mj in exchange for a share of the profits. The judge/jury decides who to believe. Given the divorce, timelines, and eviction, you should be able to establish reasonable doubt. You might want to seriously consider a bench trial - talk to your lawyer.

This won't go away. You might as well return and deal with it. Hire a defense attorney and DO NOT talk to police by yourself. Not even a little bit.

Sue ex for trespass and list your criminal attorney fees as damages caused by her actions.

Good luck

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential