• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marian Mims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violet6160

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My daughter was beaten by her boyfriend and eventually died from the injuries. The District Attorney did not charge her boyfriend because he felt he didn't have enough evidence to go to trial. Her case is still open. Recently I started a Facebook page called Justice for Melissa Platt to get support to let the DA know that we do not accept his decision. My question is can I put her boyfriends name on the Facebook page even though at this time he has not been charged. Thank you for any help you can give me. I live in texas but this happened in north Carolina.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you not post potentially defamatory remarks.

Last edited by a moderator:

mistoffolees

Agreed. The boyfriend would have the right to sue, and since he hasn't been charged because the DA doesn't have enough evidence to do so, he could win.
Absolutely. And there is very nearly zero chance that a Facebook page is going to make the prosecutor change his mind and press charges. So nothing good will come of doing this, but potentially a lot of bad things can happen.

Just make a memorial page for your daughter and leave the suspect out of it. You could even say "reward for evidence leading to arrest and conviction of the perpetrator" (again, without naming names).

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My daughter was beaten by her boyfriend and eventually died from the injuries. The District Attorney did not charge her boyfriend because he felt he didn't have enough evidence to go to trial. Her case is still open. Recently I started a Facebook page called Justice for Melissa Platt to get support to let the DA know that we do not accept his decision. My question is can I put her boyfriends name on the Facebook page even though at this time he has not been charged. Thank you for any help you can give me. I live in texas but this happened in north Carolina.
Please accept my heartfelt condolences for your loss. I know that your pain is devistating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">