• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage and New Student Visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

To make this as short as possible I'm currently on OPT and just got accepted to a PhD Program. I applied as an International Student so my I-20 is being prepared at the moment. My girlfriend and I would like to get married sometime soon but I'm wondering if this I-20 stuff would be a problem. Can I ask the school to cancel it and just go through getting married and not be an international student? or should I just postpone the wedding until after I get the my new student visa?

I hope I made that clear.

ImmigAttyLana

It really does not matter. If you are already in the US in valid status and get married, you can then file for adjustment of status through your marriage and you will no longer need to maintain student status. I would suggest that you maintain valid status until you actually get married and file for AOS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">