• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage & Immigration Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kgbow

Hello there. I'm a UK citizen who was denied a B1 visa over erranous advice last year. My first visa application was to attend the IBMA (International Bluegrass Music Awards) but was denied. I re applied with supporting evidence in April and was given a B1/B2 visa.

I have just got back from visiting a family I've become friends with over the net. They are a musical family and I'm a musician too. Hence the reason I traveled. Plus, I've always wanted to visit WV. I'm a bluegrass fan. It's been an amazing two weeks and I've fallen in love with their daughter. We've both fallen in love.

We want to get married in November but don't want to rush anything in terms of actually getting married or engaged just incase we mess up the process of me actually moving here and applying for my green card.

What should I do?

Cheers

Kirk

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Hello there. I'm a UK citizen who was denied a B1 visa over erranous advice last year. My first visa application was to attend the IBMA (International Bluegrass Music Awards) but was denied. I re applied with supporting evidence in April and was given a B1/B2 visa.

I have just got back from visiting a family I've become friends with over the net. They are a musical family and I'm a musician too. Hence the reason I traveled. Plus, I've always wanted to visit WV. I'm a bluegrass fan. It's been an amazing two weeks and I've fallen in love with their daughter. We've both fallen in love.

We want to get married in November but don't want to rush anything in terms of actually getting married or engaged just incase we mess up the process of me actually moving here and applying for my green card.

What should I do?

Cheers

Kirk
I'd suggest being a couple for longer than 2 weeks before getting engaged.

Yes, that's legal advice. Because you want to present the image of a real couple.

Mass_Shyster

Do not travel to the United States on a visitor visa to get married. A visitor visa is a non-immigrant visa. Entering the US with a non-immigrant visa with the intention of immigrating is considered fraud.

Your fiance can file for a fiance visa (K-1). When that is approved you can enter the US and will have 90 days to get married.

You can marry outside the US and your wife can file for her spouse, using form I-130 (petition for alien relative). She can also file for a K-3 visa. Processing times vary for each, so if you're in a hurry, she may want to file both.

Kgbow

The
Do not travel to the United States on a visitor visa to get married. A visitor visa is a non-immigrant visa. Entering the US with a non-immigrant visa with the intention of immigrating is considered fraud.

Your fiance can file for a fiance visa (K-1). When that is approved you can enter the US and will have 90 days to get married.

You can marry outside the US and your wife can file for her spouse, using form I-130 (petition for alien relative). She can also file for a K-3 visa. Processing times vary for each, so if you're in a hurry, she may want to file both.

The K1 was my first consideration. Am I over thinking in then worrying that they will not see my claim for a green card as fraudulent? As I met her on my B2.

I suppose the fact I flew back. Then if I go out again on a fiancé visa it'll look so much better. In terms of applying for residency?

t74

There are many discussions on immigration marriage options pros and cons on another forum. This is neither fast or easy. Whether you marry before or after you are physically present in the US has major significance.

Kgbow

There are many discussions on immigration marriage options pros and cons on another forum. This is neither fast or easy. Whether you marry before or after you are physically present in the US has major significance.

Please explain?

t74

It affects your ability to work immediately after arriving in the US. The speed of reunification with your intended/spouse and the costs vary. Please look for visajourney. There is currently a discussion going on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">