• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married or not Married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhinohorn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I am a 35yr old never-married male who shares an apartment with my 28yr old girlfriend and her 7 yr old son from her previous marriage.

We have been together for almost a year (after 5 months we started co-habitating). Her ex divorced her about 4 years ago,and then moved 2000+ miles away to Utah established visitation agreement after custody defaulted to the mother and then moved 2000+ miles away to Utah, thus the visitations were infrequent over the next 3 years or so. About a year ago, he announced his engagement to a woman and then attempted to gain full custody but didn't . Now that he is married and is going for full custody again.

My girlfriend's lawyer said her ex's lawyer is going to try to prove that it is in the child's best interest to be with the stable, married father rather than his mother and boyfriend.

My girlfriend has had substance abuse problems in the past and does have complications from diabetes, as well as being diagnosed bipolar. Part of the visitation agreement includes the father having the child for 2 months in the summer (this was the first year he gets him for 2 months), as a result my girlfriend has a nervous breakdown and went into a psychiatric hospital for several weeks while being put on a new medication for her bipolar and also for outpatient counseling. The ex's lawyer will be using this against her as well.

My girlfriend's laywer recommended that either we get married or that we do not live together and that either of these two things need to happen before the court date.

My question is : would a judge be swayed by the fact the father (who was long absent from the picture as he chose to move many miles away) who is now married be a better upbringing than being with his mother and her "live-in" boyfriend ?

Thanks!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I am a 35yr old never-married male who shares an apartment with my 28yr old girlfriend and her 7 yr old son from her previous marriage.

We have been together for almost a year (after 5 months we started co-habitating). Her ex divorced her about 4 years ago,and then moved 2000+ miles away to Utah established visitation agreement after custody defaulted to the mother and then moved 2000+ miles away to Utah, thus the visitations were infrequent over the next 3 years or so. About a year ago, he announced his engagement to a woman and then attempted to gain full custody but didn't . Now that he is married and is going for full custody again.

My girlfriend's lawyer said her ex's lawyer is going to try to prove that it is in the child's best interest to be with the stable, married father rather than his mother and boyfriend.

My girlfriend has had substance abuse problems in the past and does have complications from diabetes, as well as being diagnosed bipolar. Part of the visitation agreement includes the father having the child for 2 months in the summer (this was the first year he gets him for 2 months), as a result my girlfriend has a nervous breakdown and went into a psychiatric hospital for several weeks while being put on a new medication for her bipolar and also for outpatient counseling. The ex's lawyer will be using this against her as well.

My girlfriend's laywer recommended that either we get married or that we do not live together and that either of these two things need to happen before the court date.

My question is : would a judge be swayed by the fact the father (who was long absent from the picture as he chose to move many miles away) who is now married be a better upbringing than being with his mother and her "live-in" boyfriend ?

Thanks!
Being Married does not substantiate whether she keeps them or her ex gets them. If he is stable and can prove mom is unstable and has obvious mental health issues he may be able to.
Did dad move away before or after the court order? Did he have a reason such as work? Does mom make sure the child is in school and makes all dr appts? Are the drugs in the house/have their been drugs in the presence of the child?
If mom had a mental breakdown because Dad got his summer break that is a very huge issue. She cant expect him to not see his son. Is she still in the hospital??

Proserpina

Actually in Tennnessee cohabitation IS a factor in custody cases. However if they get married it is no longer held against them.

However with the distance and infrequent visitation Im not sure custody would be what he would get.

Cohabitation is definately against you however.
Snap!

Had it all typed out and was too slow :eek:

OP, ditto what mwarren said here.

rhinohorn

Is the cohabitation an issue on moral grounds ?

Hell, the ex's new wife could be a child molester for all we know... just being married doesn't make you a better parent. Right ?

We're going to end up moving out over this. I'm not ready to marry her yet..certainly not just for the reason to help her chances in court. I should have waited til we were ready to get married before moving in with her... especially if she has a feuding ex. Now it all becomes clearer.

ecmst12

And if she's not stable enough to take care of herself and kid WITHOUT you in the picture, that doesn't help her either.

Proserpina

Is the cohabitation an issue on moral grounds ?

Hell, the ex's new wife could be a child molester for all we know... just being married doesn't make you a better parent. Right ?

We're going to end up moving out over this. I'm not ready to marry her yet..certainly not just for the reason to help her chances in court. I should have waited til we were ready to get married before moving in with her... especially if she has a feuding ex. Now it all becomes clearer.
Poster, I think I love you. Thank you - if for no other reason that you recognize this and want to stick to your guns as opposed to enter into a marriage for the wrong reasons.

Isis1

Poster, I think I love you. Thank you - if for no other reason that you recognize this and want to stick to your guns as opposed to enter into a marriage for the wrong reasons.
oh you lovey dovey brits!

okay, but i agree. that was a very mature attitude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">