• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying green card holder?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suran78

What is the name of your state? Chicago, IL

My wife is a dentist in India. She tried twice to come to US, on F1 and visitor's visa. But her visa was denied, because dentist are not allowed to come to US. I don't understand this new rule. My question is if I declare that we are married to her and want to invite her, will her visa get denied again. Can a green card holder invite his wife or fiancee? If not, what other option do I have? How much tome does it take for a green card holder's wife to come to US? Please help ASAP.

ImmigAttyLana

There is no rule that dentists cannot come to the US as visitors. The reason your wife's visitor visa application is being denied is probably because you, her husband, is a US permanent resident and she is presumed to have immigrant intent which is not appropriate for someone applying for a visitor's visa.

How (on what basis) and when did you obtain your green card? Were you already married to your wife at that time? Depending on the circumstances, you may or may not be eligible to bring your wife to the US soon. On the other hand, it may take 4-6 years. You need to clarify the chronology a bit better.

Also, if your wife has employment options in the US, then she might be able to come to the US independent of your petitioning her since she might be eligible for an employment-based visa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">