• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

May be getting scammed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? AL

I am not sure where to post this, so I am going to start here. I just have a question; my mother owns a herbal shop, and well she received an email from a person out in Nigeria, this person claimed that he is a doctor and had asked her to send him 100 bottles of a certain herb.

Well this person offered a credit card number, and offered a website address on where to buy these bottles. Now I know this person can purchase this stuff himself if he can supply the website, but my question is, how do you research a person's credit card number from another country? My mother wouldn't mind making a profit it this person is willing to spend the money.

He told my mother he didn't care how much it costs. I know he is probably scamming her, but her business is booming, and for future reference, they just want to know how to research this kind of thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciative!

P

Pfaffing85690

Put the credit card through with a $0 amount and see if it verifies.

Would't my mother be charged it is insufficient funds? I worked at a bank a while back but I don't remember the laws on credit cards..??

P

Pfaffing85690

how could your mother be charged with insufficient funds on a $0 charge?

Every credit card processing facility has provisions for testing of connections (including websites) and of processing transactions for $0 balances.

Either that or simply call the credit card company or your bank and ask them if they can verify the credit card.

I apologize for that, when you said $0 I thought you meant the actual amount that the person would be charged. Thanks for the info. The person never gave the credit card company, so she may have to just call the bank. Thanks again.

P

Pfaffing85690

do you know the card, the card number, the name on the card, the expiration date and the security code? If so, that's all you need to verify that the card is valid or not.

If not, call the credit card company and report the incident then tell mom to drop him like a diseased lover.

Thanks to all for the advice

I was driving into work this morning, and ironically one of the broadcasters received an email but it was about wiring money. Anyway this person who emailed her also sent a phone number with it, and well on the radio they played some of the conversation she had with this person who lived out in Nigeria.

After they played that, they had an FBI agent on the phone and said that it is becoming widespread with these emails and he gave a website to report them, it's; http://www.ic3.gov .

Again thanks to all who responded

nextwife

If you are unsure, respond that she will accept wired funds for the goods or that she will ship AFTER check/credit has enough time to clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">