• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meager child support as reason to move?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not sure where you got the notion that I want to move so that I have more money. What, to get my nails done, are we going there? Currently there is not enough money coming in to support my children, and there will almost certainly still not be enough when child support kicks in. Hence the need to relocate where I can get back in to my industry and have support while I do that. Yes there is money coming in. I am working as much as I possibly can to ensure that continues. But it is not enough, not even now. The prediction of doom comes from the fact that I am supporting our girls off my limited savings.

Regarding the statement about leaving the kids with Dad, not even Dad is requesting that. I believe I mentioned that as the key point of my other thread.
No - the point is that dad is the same dad he's always been and he's the same man that you chose to impregnate you and he's the same man you chose to bear the children of. He wants to continue being the same father to the children that you chose to have with him. Now YOU want to move to better YOUR financial position.

No - the point is that dad is the same dad he's always been and he's the same man that you chose to impregnate you and he's the same man you chose to bear the children of. He wants to continue being the same father to the children that you chose to have with him. Now YOU want to move to better YOUR financial position.
Boy I just don't think you're understanding that funds are limited. I don't think it's necessarily productive to go into how I made this tragic error. But I am not moving to better my financial position. I am wanting to move so that I can provide basic necessities for our children on an ongoing basis.

jbowman

Zig, who wouldnt want to do that? Why is this appalling to you? If my ex didnt work and I knew that I could provide better for my children if I moved to get a better job, that would be in my children's best interest.

Zigner

Zig, who wouldnt want to do that? Why is this appalling to you? If my ex didnt work and I knew that I could provide better for my children if I moved to get a better job, that would be in my children's best interest.
Money isn't the ONLY consideration in the child's best interest...of course, it seems to be our OP's main focus.

I'm not faulting anybody for wanting to have a larger income, however, if it's at the expense of the relationship with the other parent, then it becomes a problem.

Money isn't the ONLY consideration in the child's best interest...of course, it seems to be our OP's main focus.

I'm not faulting anybody for wanting to have a larger income, however, if it's at the expense of the relationship with the other parent, then it becomes a problem.
Again, I think what is being lost here is that it's not a matter of kids getting ponies for their birthday once we move. We're talking about a make or break financial situation. And I've never said Dad is unimportant. Only that food is pretty important, too, and Dad can be expected to adjust his priorities so that kids can eat, or he can be expected to let Mom make her way in the world. The fact that I chose badly should not haunt my kids any more than necessary. I am willing to take the full responsibility he seems to be imposing on me, but there are geographic considerations.

Last edited:

Zigner

Again, I think what is being lost here is that it's not a matter of kids getting ponies for their birthday once we move. We're talking about a make or break financial situation. And I've never said Dad is unimportant. Only that food is pretty important, too, and Dad can be expected to adjust his priorities so that kids can eat, or he can be expected to let Mom make her way in the world. The fact that I chose badly should not haunt my kids any more than necessary. I am willing to take the full responsibility he seems to be imposing on me, but there are geographic considerations.
You are MORE than welcome to make YOUR way in the world. But, you involved children and those children have the right to a relationship with their father AND mother. You don't (ok, shouldn't) get to decide that YOU made a mistake, so YOU are going to move the children thousands of miles away from their FATHER.

You are MORE than welcome to make YOUR way in the world. But, you involved children and those children have the right to a relationship with their father AND mother. You don't (ok, shouldn't) get to decide that YOU made a mistake, so YOU are going to move the children thousands of miles away from their FATHER.
OK so kids stay with Dad, though he doesn't want the responsibility, and he goes on welfare and foodstamps, hands them to the nearest bum on the beach, and surfs all day. Problem solved! At least they have Dad!

Zigner

OK so kids stay with Dad, though he doesn't want the responsibility, and he goes on welfare and foodstamps, hands them to the nearest bum on the beach, and surfs all day. Problem solved! At least they have Dad!
No, you'd be paying child support ;)

Good luck in your case.

Temp custody and support were waived by me when we eventually got to the hearing, as my atty felt it was better to avoid a temp judgment that might stick. About that time, STBX offered $290 a month in CS for two children, which I declined. He stated his "mom had cut him off" and that this was an accurate amount based on his income.

So the trial is coming up and the case is focused on relocation at this point. I have undergone a parenting assessment and observation by a forensic psychologist, and he has also reviewed my relocation plan and weighed it based on the AAML criteria. Everything looks good so far and this expert witness will most likely testify at the trial.

There is new information on my STBX's financial situation per discovery. I am wondering what this means?

Bank statements show that over the course of the latter half of the marriage he deposited checks he received from his mom, and then withdrew appx. the same amount in cash each time over the next several days, in amounts varying from $500-$3000.

A cursory glance shows that unless he can come up with a very expensive hobby or drug habit, he probably had $20K or so in cash at the point when I left.

He declared almost no cash on his asset/debt statement which was done not long after I filed/left.

It has also been determined that he has gotten and will continue to get $24K a year in income property proceeds, almost all of which was omitted in his income/expense statement and not factored in to his CS offer.

Do these sorts of misstatements generally hurt a case? What does all this mean?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">