• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic charging me Storage fees without Intimation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vavilala25

My car's catalytic convertor was stolen while parked on the driveway therefore it needed to be fixed. I talked to my insurance and they arranged for the car to be towed to a mechanic shop. On June 6, 2022 my car was fixed, however there was a delay in the payment to the mechanic from my insurance. The mechanic notified My insurance agent on July 6, 2022 that a $100/day storage charge would be applicable each day the car was kept at the auto shop. On July 15, 2022 when insurance made the payment, the car became available for pick-up, however that was for the FIRST time that I was notified by the mechanic that I had to pay an additional $100/day from July 6, 2022 to July 15, 2022 (total: $1000) along with the $1300 repair fee and $500 deductible. I immediately contacted insurance agent, to which he replied that he would look into the matter. However even after daily contact from my side to the agent, he never replied to me until July 25, 2022. When he finally replied he told me that I would have to pay the storage fee, which had accrued $100/day (now totaling $2000). The information regarding the extra fees was directed towards my insurance agent on June 6, 2022, however I did not know about it till July 15, 2022, therefore I disputed paying that amount. However, the insurance took an additional 10 days to even reply regarding my concern about the extra fees at which time the fees accrued even more. My insurance told me to settle with the mechanic, however they aren't budging from the $100/day extra storage charges (presently totaling $2400 as of August 10, 2022). I do not have the resources to settle this dispute directly with the mechanic, and seeing as this problem started with My insurance delaying the initial payment, it should be the responsibility of the insurance company to solve this issue. I only have one car, and I've significantly struggled without it for more than a month. I need to have my car back as soon as possible. And on August 18, 2022 I've received a NOTICE OF PENDING LIEN SALE for my vehicle with the date for the sale set on September 01, 2022.

1.) The insurance company delayed the payment to the mechanic
2.) The mechanic told my insurance agent that there would be a $100/day charge for storing my car
3.) The mechanic, nor my insurance agent told me about the $100/day. I didn’t sign anything with the mechanic as my insurance was the one that arranged the tow and drop off at the mechanic.
4.) I found out about the extra fees almost 10 days later when I was ready to pick up my car and when I spoke with my agent he took an additional ~10 days to even reply to my concern.

The mechanic is now selling my car off, please let me know if I have a case here, as I don’t want to go into an expensive legal battle in addition to losing my car.

Thank you.

adjusterjack

You mention "agent" several times. Is this the person who sold you your policy?

You mention "insurance company." Is a claim rep or adjuster from the insurance company a different person than your agent?

Please clarify who did what in your story.

vavilala25

It is Geico and adjuster and agent are same person I mean . He is the claims agent that was assigned to my claim . I even spoke to his manager still same response , Thank you . Any advice I appreciate a lot .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've may have a decent case to make for the period from July 6th to July 15th, but the rest is on you.

adjusterjack

It is Geico and adjuster and agent are same person I mean . He is the claims agent that was assigned to my claim . I even spoke to his manager still same response , Thank you . Any advice I appreciate a lot .
How much is your car worth once it got fixed.

FarmerJ

look very carefully at the paperwork you got when you turned the car over to that shop , if it does not spell out terms for storage fees then check to see if your city has rules or state laws that define under what terms a business can add storage fees as you quickly Find the money to pay it to stop the amount from growing ( if you cannot find anything in your paper work from turning the car over to them you may want to point that out to the shop and if the wont budge pay it and decide if you want to take them to court and sue them for the amount since that may be the only way you can re gain control of your car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">