• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid claim after closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Megs0628

New Jersey
Hello, my Mother passed and we closed on house. I am the probate.We paid all liens on property at settlement. We found a letter when we checked mail from Medicaid requesting payment for claim or they would put a lien on property. Did not state an amount and when I call number it is a recording. No clue how to move forward. Can they go after me?
Thanks in advance.

Megs0628

Were you the administrator of the estate? Did you pay all debts the estate owed?
Yes I am probate of estate it was a sudden death with no will. Liens were taken out at closing. The rest of the money needs to go to my grandmother (that paid mortgage the last eight years) for Palliative care

LdiJ

Yes I am probate of estate it was a sudden death with no will. Liens were taken out at closing. The rest of the money needs to go to my grandmother (that paid mortgage the last eight years) for Palliative care
What is the time line on all of this?

Also, just for your information when talking to people in the future, you are not "the probate" because there is no such thing. Probate is the process you go through to settle the estate. You could be the administrator, the representative or the executor, depending on how your state words things.

Megs0628

What is the time line on all of this?

Also, just for your information when talking to people in the future, you are not "the probate" because there is no such thing. Probate is the process you go through to settle the estate. You could be the administrator, the representative or the executor, depending on how your state words things.
Mother died August 21 2018. Closing was 2-28-2019 letter was dated a month ago. We just had the post office make a key for mailbox and received all of her mail.

justalayman

No you are not probate of estate. Probate is an action, not a person

Having a will is irrelevent.

Liens are a notice of debt placed against an asset. Not all debts will be associated with liens.

Your grandmother may not be able to be paid anything if the estate had other debts to pay.

Megs0628

No you are not probate of estate. Probate is an action, not a person

Having a will is irrelevent.

Liens are a notice of debt placed against an asset. Not all debts will be associated with liens.

Your grandmother may not be able to be paid anything if the estate had other debts to pay.
Trying to get in touch with someone from Medicaid to find debt is impossible.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am referring to anything we could find. Medicaid form came after closing of property.
Yes, but the bill was generated before. This is a can of worms and the top is missing.

To be clear - the bill came before the closing of the property, but nobody bothered checking the mail.

Dandy Don

It seems as if Medicaid should have submitted this claim to the estate while probate was open. Probate is closed now, isn't it? Looks like they are out of luck.

You can check county courthouse land records to see if a lien has been placed or not.

The fact that they won't get in touch with you to discuss this matter further makes you wonder if their request is legitimate or perhaps someone trying to perpetrate a scam. Believe me, if they money is a valid debt, you will hear from them in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">