• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid for Pregnant Women & State Suing Father for Child Support???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

He is paying his fair share of the costs if he is living in the home and providing for expenses for day to day living for the baby. Couples can be poor.
Not necessarily true and definitely not true regarding the Medicaid (unless he is included on the Medicaid benefits). Since they are not married they can treat him just like any other father that isn’t married to the mother of a child. The state wants to be repaid for their benefits. He would be liable for that regardless of living with the mother.

Now, if the state has no basis to reclaim any of the support payments then I would agree he should not have to pay any child support but I think they’re stuck on the Medicaid.

HRZ

I thought some of the determinations of "household" for Medicaid purposes were keyed to the tax filing status of the various inhabitants ?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not necessarily true and definitely not true regarding the Medicaid (unless he is included on the Medicaid benefits). Since they are not married they can treat him just like any other father that isn’t married to the mother of a child. The state wants to be repaid for their benefits. He would be liable for that regardless of living with the mother.

Now, if the state has no basis to reclaim any of the support payments then I would agree he should not have to pay any child support but I think they’re stuck on the Medicaid.
She included his information BASED UPON her post where she turned in his pay stubs and such to DJFS. Therefore, he won't have to pay.

So I applied for, and was accepted for Medicaid for Pregnant Women. During the application process, HIS income was considered for MY eligibility.
Because it was his income that was included in allowing her to qualify. That is the point. That is why I say he wont' have to pay it back. Because even with his income included, she qualified for it. He won't have to reimburse.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The other point is he is not an absent father -- meaning he is not absent from the mother and child's life as he is in the same household. I agree if they were "together" and not in the same household, they could go after him for reimbursement but his income has been taken into consideration. Could they file? Yes. But if OP and boyfriend dispute it, he won't have to reimburse. Granted it is easier if they get married, but JAL I thought you were in Michigan. And that has slightly different laws that are as you have stated.

xylene

Could they file? Yes.
And it is Texas, so it is very likely they will file.

But if OP and boyfriend dispute it, he won't have to reimburse.
If they are able to navigate a byzantine process, which not everyone does and they don't meet up with some busy body conservative on the way.

Odd are you'll report this because everything that comes out of your mouth is the gospel truth and totally certain, even when you yourself admit a very very large "IF" in your assertion.

Just Blue

If they are able to navigate a byzantine process, which not everyone does and they don't meet up with some busy body conservative on the way.

Odd are you'll report this because everything that comes out of your mouth is the gospel truth and totally certain, even when you yourself admit a very very large "IF" in your assertion.
Please back up your assertion.

xylene

Please back up your assertion.
Which one? I made several. Most importantly the one that it won't be easy to resolve a dispute or the one where I agree with what the OP has been told.

Texas is not a medicaid expansion state and is widely know to aggressively recoup.

If she was told she was going to have billing problems, I would believe that expectation to be true.

I do admit I thought that it was the op's ob/gyn office who said that, but maybe some rando said this, I admit that much is unclear.

It's a maga state full of xtian conservatives. That's all I need to know

(Or did you mean that my critical post would get deleted?)

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don’t understand this at all, especially considering that HIS income was a factor in my eligibility for Medicaid benefits in the first place. I’m so confused and feel that he is being taken advantage of. He does so much for us, I just don’t understand how this is legal?
Because the state doesn't believe its residents/taxpayers should be responsible for your choice to have a child. So, in an unmarried situation, they want to be sure that the father is helping support the child. Hence, getting a legal order for him to pay.

Just Blue

Which one? I made several. Most importantly the one that it won't be easy to resolve a dispute or the one where I agree with what the OP has been told.

Texas is not a medicaid expansion state and is widely know to aggressively recoup.

If she was told she was going to have billing problems, I would believe that expectation to be true.

I do admit I thought that it was the op's ob/gyn office who said that, but maybe some rando said this, I admit that much is unclear.

It's a maga state full of xtian conservatives. That's all I need to know
Just back up your post ...Post that TX will place the cost of the delivery on Dad. Not just your person thoughts...but fact.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I don't report posts that disagree with me. I report posts that have a poster who NEVER admits they are wrong AND are completely wrong and refuse to look anything up. Try to get with reality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">