• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MEDICAL LEGAL advice needed: Possible paradoxical reaction - Effexor XR w/ Lithium

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylene

If you concede that the doctor could not have forseen the possible outcome, then there is no POSSIBLE way there could have been malpractice. Malpractice requires negligence - a breech in the standard of care, which a reasonable medical professional would have known would result in damages.
I suspect that what the poster is obtusely asking is "Did the previous paradoxical reaction (which it wasn't) contraindicate the use of a different anti-depressants in the future which allegedly caused a paradoxical reaction (which it didn't)

The answer is a resounding NO.

And even if....

Any malpractice is not going speed any DCAFS proceeding related to a para-suicidal and infanticidal gesture that was uttered to a legally mandated reporter.

lya

Much from the original poster makes little to no sense.

The patient should have told the physician she could not take Lithium because in 1999 she experienced a reaction thought to be paradoxical one or both medications.

Paradoxical does mean causing a nearly opposite reaction than was anticipated: HOWEVER, in the information presented, we find the description of rational thought, self control, ability to follow the treatment plan by calling for help.

That is not a paradoxical reaction; that is the reaction one would hope the addition of Lithium would bring to the treatment plan.

lya

xylene
Is your governor a Snap On tool or just the regular kind you find at Lowe's or WalMart?
:)

Katie in FL

lya, I'm very sorry that I was unable to explain things in a manner that you could comprehend. I would be glad to further clarify anything you are unable to understand.

Physician was fully aware of patient history, including the 1999 incident.

How would a patient, who had no experience with lithium and is not a medical doctor, know that they were unable to take a prescription that the psychiatrist was recommending?

The patient had been taking antidepressants since 2006 with none of the negative side effects experienced in November 2007. The patient remains on the said antidepressant, the lithium was removed from her treatment plan, and the patient has resumed normal daily function.

Again, please address the initial request for information that *COULD* help reunite child with parent. Medical research and/or case examples would likely provide sufficient evidence. If this was your case, and you were advocating for the patient - - what information would you provide to assist in earlier reunification?

ecmst12

I don't think the advocate SHOULD push for earlier reunification. The incident happened very recently - the patient should concentrate on recovery and follow the recommendations of her doctor.

lealea1005

lya, I'm very sorry that I was unable to explain things in a manner that you could comprehend. I would be glad to further clarify anything you are unable to understand.

How would a patient, who had no experience with lithium and is not a medical doctor, know that they were unable to take a prescription that the psychiatrist was recommending?

The patient had been taking antidepressants since 2006 with none of the negative side effects experienced in November 2007. The patient remains on the said antidepressant, the lithium was removed from her treatment plan, and the patient has resumed normal daily function.

Again, please address the initial request for information that *COULD* help reunite child with parent. Medical research and/or case examples would likely provide sufficient evidence. If this was your case, and you were advocating for the patient - - what information would you provide to assist in earlier reunification?

Not necessarily. Her Psychiatrist will need to show documentation that she has been compliant with her treatment for a period of time, and he/she feels the patient is not a threat, in any way, to the safety of her children or herself. Highly unlikely that the Psychiatrist will risk their license by making any guarantees.

It will be a long process starting with supervised visitation and gradual progression.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

I am not sure why you are referring to yourself in the third person.

Don't do that on the stand.

There are no magical formulas for getting your kid back.

Go to court and tell the truth.

Nothing in this thread that you have written will help you; blaming a doctor won't get your kid back.

Accentuate the positive.

lya

The child's best interest will be the basis for the determination, not anything you have posted here.

You have not presented a set of circumstances that would sway the outcome in your favor.

I'm outta here and leaving you in good hands...

beryllium

Kudos, Katie

Katie,

I don't have any answers, but I just wanted to say what a Great, Savvy, Intelligent, Kind, Compassionate parent, social worker, or whatever you are to be asking, researching, and searching for the right answers. Best of Luck, Blessings. I also, thought you could use a respite from all the wonderful technical jargon. Another user on another research marathon quest. Blessings

Last edited:

PJ Weber

Katie,

I don't have any answers, but I just wanted to say what a Great, Savvy, Intelligent, Kind, Compassionate parent, social worker, or whatever you are to be asking, researching, and searching for the right answers. Best of Luck, Blessings. I also, thought you could use a respite from all the wonderful technical jargon. Another user on another research marathon quest. Blessings
You DO realize that you replied to a post that is almost three months old :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">