• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Mal...not yet. Need Attorney Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grieder

California
Broke my femur (nasty comminuted fracture) was taken to UCLA Santa Monica. I apologized several times to different Dr’s that I only have Medi-cal coverage. I said I understood if they transferred me to a less expensive hospital. Every Dr. said it was a good possibility, it happens all the time. After they had a clear image of my leg I asked a Dr. if I was being sent somewhere else. He pumped his fist and said, “Hell no, we’re keeping you here.” I figured it was because they were using me as a teaching opportunity. When I saw at least fifteen people standing around in the operating room at 23:00 I figured that was the case.
Once the surgery was complete they transferred me out of there as fast as possible. Before leaving, Dr. ABC and the physical therapist gave me incorrect rehab instructions. The entire transfer was screwed up in many ways beginning with the ambulance co. I arrived at Santa Monica Healthcare Center at 22:30 with zero paperwork. They didn’t even know who I was, that my leg was broken, what medications I needed, nada. I writhed in a massive amount of pain for almost twelve hours before I was given medication for relief. From what I was told, SMHCC could not get responses from UCLA the entire night.
Before I was transferred I complained about painful popping (bone crunching). I was ignored. Ten days post-op I was brought back for an appointment at my request. Without even looking at my leg, Dr. XXX attempted to blame the bone crunching problem on SMHCC and their physical therapist. The fact is UCLA eventually sent over the wrong instructions calling for full weight bearing when it should only have been 20%. That was corrected at this appointment. The proof is in the paperwork and I have several witnesses in the rehab staff and a UCLA Dr.
Now Dr. .XXX s doesn’t want to fix his mistake. He’s shifting blame. He basically said, because of SMHCC’s error I’ll be looked after, sometime in the future, at Harbor-UCLA. It’s no secret the work done there is not the same as Santa Monica or Westwood. Also, why the delay. Several Dr’s have confirmed there’s a definite problem. They’re not even concerned that the bones may be healing wrong.
The bottom line is, Medi-cal was good enough when I could be used for educational purposes, but now it’s not when they need to fix their error. I feel they need to finish what they started, the way they started it, regardless of insurance coverage.
I understand lawyers need to make money. Is there something here in that regard? I have suffered considerably for a month. Money wouldn’t hurt, but I really just want my leg fixed properly.

grieder

California
Broke my femur (nasty comminuted fracture) was taken to UCLA Santa Monica. I apologized several times to different Dr’s that I only have Medi-cal coverage. I said I understood if they transferred me to a less expensive hospital. Every Dr. said it was a good possibility, it happens all the time. After they had a clear image of my leg I asked a Dr. if I was being sent somewhere else. He pumped his fist and said, “Hell no, we’re keeping you here.” I figured it was because they were using me as a teaching opportunity. When I saw at least fifteen people standing around in the operating room at 23:00 I figured that was the case.
Once the surgery was complete they transferred me out of there as fast as possible. Before leaving, Dr. Toppen and the physical therapist gave me incorrect rehab instructions. The entire transfer was screwed up in many ways beginning with the ambulance co. I arrived at Santa Monica Healthcare Center at 22:30 with zero paperwork. They didn’t even know who I was, that my leg was broken, what medications I needed, nada. I writhed in a massive amount of pain for almost twelve hours before I was given medication for relief. From what I was told, SMHCC could not get responses from UCLA the entire night.
Before I was transferred I complained about painful popping (bone crunching). I was ignored. Ten days post-op I was brought back for an appointment at my request. Without even looking at my leg, Dr. Thomas attempted to blame the bone crunching problem on SMHCC and their physical therapist. The fact is UCLA eventually sent over the wrong instructions calling for full weight bearing when it should only have been 20%. That was corrected at this appointment. The proof is in the paperwork and I have several witnesses in the rehab staff and a UCLA Dr.
Now Dr. Thomas doesn’t want to fix his mistake. He’s shifting blame. He basically said, because of SMHCC’s error I’ll be looked after, sometime in the future, at Harbor-UCLA. It’s no secret the work done there is not the same as Santa Monica or Westwood. Also, why the delay. Several Dr’s have confirmed there’s a definite problem. They’re not even concerned that the bones may be healing wrong.
The bottom line is, Medi-cal was good enough when I could be used for educational purposes, but now it’s not when they need to fix their error. I feel they need to finish what they started, the way they started it, regardless of insurance coverage.
I understand lawyers need to make money. Is there something here in that regard? I have suffered considerably for a month. Money wouldn’t hurt, but I really just want my leg fixed properly.
I'm the guy that posted this question. It didn't come out right. Is there any way to edit it?

quincy

California
Once the surgery was complete they transferred me out of there as fast as possible. Before leaving, Dr. Toppen and the physical therapist gave me incorrect rehab instructions. The entire transfer was screwed up in many ways beginning with the ambulance co. I arrived at Santa Monica Healthcare Center at 22:30 with zero paperwork. They didn’t even know who I was, that my leg was broken, what medications I needed, nada. I writhed in a massive amount of pain for almost twelve hours before I was given medication for relief. From what I was told, SMHCC could not get responses from UCLA the entire night.
Before I was transferred I complained about painful popping (bone crunching). I was ignored. Ten days post-op I was brought back for an appointment at my request. Without even looking at my leg, Dr. Thomas attempted to blame the bone crunching problem on SMHCC and their physical therapist. The fact is UCLA eventually sent over the wrong instructions calling for full weight bearing when it should only have been 20%. That was corrected at this appointment. The proof is in the paperwork and I have several witnesses in the rehab staff and a UCLA Dr.
Now Dr. Thomas doesn’t want to fix his mistake. He’s shifting blame. He basically said, because of SMHCC’s error I’ll be looked after, sometime in the future, at Harbor-UCLA. It’s no secret the work done there is not the same as Santa Monica or Westwood. Also, why the delay. Several Dr’s have confirmed there’s a definite problem. They’re not even concerned that the bones may be healing wrong.
Your post is fine, grieder. :)

You can/should contact a medical malpractice attorney in your area. The initial consultation should be free and most med-mal attorneys work on a contingency basis (i.e., they don’t get paid unless you get paid).

Check out the California Bar or https://www.attorneypages.com for an attorney. We do not provide attorney recommendations or references on this forum.

A personal review by an attorney of your medical records and the facts of your hospitalization can let you know better if you have a claim worth pursuing.

grieder

My question is, what are my best options to get UCLA to fix the problem correctly? Will I need an attorney to get them to do the right thing? If so, is there a lawyer that would even tough this?

quincy

My question is, what are my best options to get UCLA to fix the problem correctly? Will I need an attorney to get them to do the right thing? If so, is there a lawyer that would even tough this?
You can make appointments and speak to the doctors involved or the hospital administrators before you speak to an attorney. That is generally the first best step anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">