• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical patient being charged with Possession of Marijuana (police report inside)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

While the State may license a physician, the physician must be licensed by the DEA to prescribe drugs (if you ever look at a prescription written on a piece of paper--old fashioned concept for some, I know--the Dr.'s DEA # is on the prescription.), and if the DEA pulls a medical provider's license to prescribe? Well, then....Kind of hard to practice medicine if you can't even prescribe penicillin!

Tru, dat!

You're right, i was using the wrong word, they 'recommend' it and because of that LEGAL recommendation patients are legally able to buy medical marijuana in hundreds of dispensaries. Prescribe/Recommend, either way the doctors name is held to it. I'm sure there is atleast ONE case out there of a doctor being charged FEDERALLY for legally recommend medical marijuana to a patient, but i can't find any...only cases where the recommendation didn't follow STATE LAW(falsifying records, etc.) but nothing, no charges for actually recommending LEGAL medical Marijuana

but who cares. OP has admitted he has committed a state crime. happy now?
That's true! Having it loose in his pocket in the car is undefensible. The Public Act 460 is VERY clear. Not to mention rubbing his use of it with a non-patient in the cops face.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Actually, I do not think MI has a statute that prohibits confessing and making an ass of yourself to a cop.

That's true! Having it loose in his pocket in the car is undefensible. The Public Act 460 is VERY clear. Not to mention rubbing his use of it with a non-patient in the cops face.

TigerD

I find it interesting that the OPs defense to possession is driving under the influence. The OP is lucky that there are not additional charges.

DC

Technically, a physician only needs a DEA license to prescribe "scheduled" drugs. I.e., without DEA approval, he/she can still prescribe antibiotics, but not Vicodin. But, in real life he/she need a DEA number to get hospital privileges, enrollment with insurers, recognition by pharmacies, etc. It is kinda like a social security number for doctors - an all-purpose ID far beyond its original purpose.

So, yes, without a DEA license, a doctor is most likely out of business.

Just Blue

Was this guy arrested by the Fed's? I think that's the part i'm not getting the LOCAL Police following Local Laws. Medical Licenses are granted by the state, not the Federal government.

I'm sorry, but hundreds of doctors write prescriptions for medical marijuana all the time. To act like it is some kind of illegal black market is just wrong, this is a state licensed doctor writing a prescription for a state legal drug. There is no 'grey' there
Millions of stores sell booze EVERY DAY...STILL not legal to drink it in the car. In ANY state.

And, by the way, I have NO ISSUE with someone lighting up a dubbie in their home. As long as the children are not around. :)

Millions of stores sell booze EVERY DAY...STILL not legal to drink it in the car. In ANY state.

And, by the way, I have NO ISSUE with someone lighting up a dubbie in their home. As long as the children are not around. :)
When i became a father i also made the choice to leave any illegal activities in my past...I have no problem with people doing LEGAL drugs in their home when the children aren't around, i.e. tobacco, alcohol, Marijuana(IN Colorado & Washington). But illegal drugs are illegal and any responsible adult should know better.

Proserpina

When i became a father i also made the choice to leave any illegal activities in my past...I have no problem with people doing LEGAL drugs in their home when the children aren't around, i.e. tobacco, alcohol, Marijuana(IN Colorado & Washington). But illegal drugs are illegal and any responsible adult should know better.

That's actually quite a frightening train of thought.

Colorado=Yay! :D

CheerfulNative
You live in Colorado now Silverplum? Can i ask you, have you noticed an change in the 'culture' since the legalization of recreational marijuana? I know it's illegal to use in public, but have you noticed a lot more 'damn hippys' walking the streets that appeared under the influence then usual?

I've read some of the 'quasi-legal' pot forums online, it seems like 1 in 10 'damn hippy' has picked up and moved to Colorado in the last few months. What has been your personal experience?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">