• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical tests and costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

hey boboconner;

You do realize this guy said it is not a typical test used for a typical employment physical, right? With that, it opens up what test it could be to just about anything. I am sure you will agree there are many medical tests that exceed a $1000 cost, right?

Personally, I can think of a few tests that might be required from a person that would not be considered typical tests required for an employment physical. They vary greatly depending on what the occupation is as well as the symptoms previously admitted to. Can't think of too many that would not be covered under a typical insurance policy though unless it is not covered simply because the test is for a physical and not as an investigatory test resulting as a patient presenting to a doctor with current symptoms.

So Cobra1, it sounds like it is likely legal. Maybe if you would actually answer the questions of what test this is, your occupation, and what symptoms you reported previously, somebody might be able to help you make a bit more sense of the situation.

Cobra1

I really can't elaborate further as I don't want to chance my employer coming across this post and retaliating.
I just want to know if a doctor of the employer's choosing can require me to take a specialized test that I did not request and which is not required of all employees, and if so, would the employer be required to pay for this test?
Thanks for the info so far.

justalayman

In the example you showed above with the OSHA respirator example, which I touched upon, is a grey area to me & I said that. I think we actually agree ....
Bob, I think life in general is a grey area to you. A smoky grey, if you catch my drift.

cobra1;

without clarification (and we understand your reasoning) it is impossible to really answer the question so, the answer as things stands is; maybe, maybe not.

To get a more finite answer, I would suggest contacting a attorney in your area the deals with labor laws.

lealea1005

I just want to know if a doctor of the employer's choosing can require me to take a specialized test that I did not request and which is not required of all employees...
The Physician cannot force you to do anything, but s/he can refuse to clear you for employment if they think the results of the specialized test are necessary due to your past medical history.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">