• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicare for immigrant parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suran78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Greetings,

I want to sponsor my parents for green card and make them US citizens. My questions:
1. They live in India, so what would be the correct process to file for Permanent residense outside US?
2. They have multiple entry visa for 10 yrs in US, so will it be easier and faster to apply for permanent residence when they are visiting me in US?
3. When they become US citizens, will they get medicare/health care benefits? They have never worked in US and don't intend to as they are quite old.

Please provide guidance or suggestions.

Thanks.
suran78

candg918

The process for family based immigration is detailed on the USCIS website.

It is not proper to enter the US on a visit (B-2) visa with the intent to file for a green card. File for consular processing. The requirements are the same.

They can BUY into Medicare after being a LPR for 5 years. It costs far more than what individuals who have earned the benefit through work must pay. Prior to that time you will need to purchase (if you can) health insurance for them. Research this carefully before bringing them. In my state, some age-gender based premiums in the state's high risk pool had a premium of as much as $4000/month for an individual.

They do not qualify for anything but emergency Medicaid in most states. (Note that care for many if not most diseases of the elderly are not considered to be emergencies.) You will find the costs of their health care to be significant. Simply meeting the minimum income to qualify to sponsor will not be adequate to provide health insurance. Care without health insurance is difficult to obtain if you can find doctors accepting new patients - even with Medicare, Many doctors in my community will not accept new patients if their health insurance is Medicare (or Medicaid) due to the low payment rates. It will get worse since the reimbursement rates are going down.

By the way, you cannot make them citizens. They have requirements that they must fulfill; some vary with age but they still are expected to participate in the procedure.

candg918

Also, if they are younger than 66/67, they should get a job which provides health insurance. While it is normal in many countries to retire younger than 60, in the US many seniors (over age 70) continue to work both out of desire and need. If they are in their early 60s, they can easily earn the necessary work credits to qualify for earned Medicare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">