• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I assure you OG, neither of us are on medication nor are we going to be. I do have a support group that I have discussions with and I thought I'd bring this question on here. Sometimes posters on here need to be told where their fault is and I certainly got my share of it. I wont say that I joined this sit with an open mind, but I certainly have more of an open mind now. I want DS to have dad in his life as much as dad wants to be there. Ill discuss the parenting plan in another thread so that I can get feedback.

Back to my original question. I would think that if some kind of anti-anxiety drug has some serious side effects, the court would just want to make sure that it will not interfere with the care of the child. Its like with anti-depressants. If the drug serves to improve the health of the parent, then there should be no issue, as long as the parent does not abuse the drugs
A long term anti anxiety med, such as paxil, would only be an improvement, it would not impare the parent's ability to parent their child. The on the spot meds such as Xanax, or Klonopen do have a tendency to make the person drowsy when they first start using them, but that goes away.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I assure you OG, neither of us are on medication nor are we going to be. I do have a support group that I have discussions with and I thought I'd bring this question on here. Sometimes posters on here need to be told where their fault is and I certainly got my share of it. I wont say that I joined this sit with an open mind, but I certainly have more of an open mind now. I want DS to have dad in his life as much as dad wants to be there. Ill discuss the parenting plan in another thread so that I can get feedback.

Back to my original question. I would think that if some kind of anti-anxiety drug has some serious side effects, the court would just want to make sure that it will not interfere with the care of the child. Its like with anti-depressants. If the drug serves to improve the health of the parent, then there should be no issue, as long as the parent does not abuse the drugs

If someone is on medications unless those medications make the parent a DANGER to the child, they don't matter. And they have to have that affect on that specific parent in regards to the child -- not just be a possibility.

onebreath

Your question is so vague, but alas, here I am up late at night!

You won't say in terms of custody situation where the concern is...the parents aren't taking, is the child? But your concern is affect on the child so maybe you are considering taking anti-anxiety medication? I would hope/think any doctor prescribing medication would out lay the possible side effects and not prescribe drugs that would handicap a person in any way without warning them up front?!??

Silverplum

The q was answered by competent posters already.

Your response is just...strange. And shows your utter lack of the law AND basic pharmacy practices.

You won't say in terms of custody situation where the concern is...the parents aren't taking, is the child? But your concern is affect on the child so maybe you are considering taking anti-anxiety medication? I would hope/think any doctor prescribing medication would out lay the possible side effects and not prescribe drugs that would handicap a person in any way without warning them up front?!??

Just Blue

Huh? Are you on drugs? What exactly are you inhaling in your "onebreath"?

maryjo

I have actually wondered about this myself. I am not on anything myself but had thought about going to therapy a lot in the first year during seperation and divorce. I worried that should it come out that I was seeing someone about mental and emotional issues that it could possibly be held against me. Especially if the doctor thought I should be on meds. I work with mentally disabled people and when they go off their meds, its a WORLD of difference. I dont know. But I had always wondered how a judge would look at something like that should child custody come down to it.

Silverplum

I have actually wondered about this myself. I am not on anything myself but had thought about going to therapy a lot in the first year during seperation and divorce. I worried that should it come out that I was seeing someone about mental and emotional issues that it could possibly be held against me. Especially if the doctor thought I should be on meds. I work with mentally disabled people and when they go off their meds, its a WORLD of difference. I dont know. But I had always wondered how a judge would look at something like that should child custody come down to it.
Everybody worries about that. :)

My position is this: If a person is trying to achieve health, there is no shame or problem.

SOME judges will always be jerks. That's life. Just like some will be pro-mom or pro-dad or anti-moveaway or pro-moveaway.

I say, work towards health. Let the rest of the chips fall where they may. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">