• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meeting of Creditors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmelville

What is the name of your state? PA

Well our meeting of creditors is sceduled for August 27th. Letter says only to bring 2 forms of I.D. Is there anything else I should take along that they may ask for?

Also- what should I expect? How long do these things normally take? I'm very nervous....

Ladynred

You might try a search of the forum, by thread title for '341 meeting' , several people have posted the questions they were asked at their meeting.

The meeting takes, at the most, 10 minutes, often its even less than that. The Trustee will ask you a set of questions and you answer. The Trustees have a standard list of about 20 questions they are supposed to ask people.

The best thing for you to do is go early and listen to what the Trustee asks other people. You'll see its really quick and fairly painless. Your lawyer will be there, but the Trustee won't be talking to him, most of the time, lawyers don't say a word.

B

big_rob

Imelville, Don't Panic

The 341 meeting is not as scary as it seems. I had mine 3 months ago. I filed Pro Se (Without assistance of an attorney) and had no problem answering the trustee's questions. In fact, the conversation between myself and the trustee was surprisingly friendly! So that you know what to questions to expect, here's a link to the 10 questions that the trustee must ask:

http://www.doney.net/client/ch7_trustee_341_questions.htm

Also, the trustee may ask more questions than those on the list. For example, my trustee wanted to know if I owned anymore jewelry than what was mentioned in my petition.

My 341 was done in about 5 minutes. I didn't have any problems. More than likely, yours will probably go just as smooth.

JETX

Ladynred said:
The meeting takes, at the most, 10 minutes, often its even less than that. The Trustee will ask you a set of questions and you answer. The Trustees have a standard list of about 20 questions they are supposed to ask people.
Just for the record.... the shortest one I have attended took about 45 minutes (I just LOVE to grill the petitioner)..... and the longest one took 3 hours and after I was done and it was clear that the petitioner wasn't being honest in his filing, the Trustee chewed the ass on a petitioner and gave them options:
1) Return in two weeks with ALL the records of the business, or 2) Voluntary withdrawal of their petition, or 3) face threat of bankruptcy fraud.
They chose #2. :D
Hell, I even made the kid cry (his parents knew they were running a fraud, so stuck him with 'President' of the corporation!!).

lmelville

Thanks

Thanks for the help. Since my bankruptcy isn't a fraud and I have all the paperwork to back it up if needed....I feel alot better now and not as nervous. Thanks for answering.

Ladynred

Well JetX, I'd have to say that going up against YOU is the exception rather than the rule :D Given what you do for a living....

JETX

Ladynred said:
Well JetX, I'd have to say that going up against YOU is the exception rather than the rule :D Given what you do for a living....
In the words of my favorite 'Tennessee favorite son'.... "Thank ya'.... Thank ya' very much!" :cool:

rainmand

The 341 meeting for my chapter 7 lasted 5 minutes and the Trustee only asked me one question (in addition to the normal questions). He wanted to know the price I paid for my house. The Trustee didn't ask me any additional questions during the 341 meeting for my chapter 13, but it lasted longer than 5 minutes because an upset Creditor interrupted the proceedings and a ruskus followed before he calmed down. I realized how good my attorney was when I saw him in action with the Creditor. Every now and then I'd look at the Trustee and she'd glance back at me and then the two of us would watch/listen to my Attorney and the Creditor. It was an interesting experience and I've been recommending Bankruptcy Attorney's for others ever since because there's no way I would have been able to handle that Creditor by myself.

Last edited:

lmelville

Whew....glad that's over with....

Just got finished with the 341 Meeting about an hour ago. Y'all were right-was nothing to worry over. The trustee was extremely nice and :D didn't ask a whole lot of questions. Basically he checked our i.d.'s and followed the paperwork as our attorney read over it and asked if there had been any changes (my income had increased slightly but not enough to affect anything). No creditors showed and it was all over in about 10 minutes. There were 6 cases scheduled for that 1/2 hour (all of us had the same attorney) and we were the 4th called, so we got to see how the process worked and what was asked and it basically brought our stress level down.
Thanks all of you for all your help!!!!!

I'll still be around though...I notice from reading other posts that after the discharge arrives, I need to look at our credit reports and do some clean-up!!

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">