• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Merrick Bank payoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thanks to all who replied, appreciate it, but I have ONE more small debt to clean up then other than my home mortgage I will be 100% free of any unsecured debt, but will post on a different thead real soon

PayrollHRGuy

Thanks to all who replied, appreciate it, but I have ONE more small debt to clean up then other than my home mortgage I will be 100% free of any unsecured debt, but will post on a different thead real soon
Oh please don't start a new thread. It will just require us to jump back and forth when trying to help you.

OK here goes....I was sued by a company who bought my CC debt from Citibank and they eventually either assigned it or employed Blitt & Gaines, a law firm who specializes in collecting debt. I owe approx $700 and via my agreement has me paying $70 a month until PIF so it will be until next spring when its totally gone.

Of course theres no accumulating interest, and I really want to have a favorable credit score by yrs end, so would I be better off to keep paying it off next 10 months or paying it off in one lump sum now? I also assume that Blitt and Gaines report to the credit bureau correct? When this debt is PIF, does it come off my credit record in a few months?

Thanks again!!

quincy

OK here goes....I was sued by a company who bought my CC debt from Citibank and they eventually either assigned it or employed Blitt & Gaines, a law firm who specializes in collecting debt. I owe approx $700 and via my agreement has me paying $70 a month until PIF so it will be until next spring when its totally gone.

Of course theres no accumulating interest, and I really want to have a favorable credit score by yrs end, so would I be better off to keep paying it off next 10 months or paying it off in one lump sum now? I also assume that Blitt and Gaines report to the credit bureau correct? When this debt is PIF, does it come off my credit record in a few months?

Thanks again!!
It is almost always better to pay debts off early. Once you pay, you should make sure a “satisfaction of judgment” is recorded with the court and that the creditor reports the satisfaction of judgment to the credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Thanks again!!
The debt will show as the late payments for many years (7 years from the original date of default, give or take). Personally, if able, I'd pay it.
EDIT: If it's a judgment, it will still show for the appropriate period of time, but it will be marked as paid.

The debt will show as the late payments for many years (7 years from the original date of default, give or take). Personally, if able, I'd pay it.
EDIT: If it's a judgment, it will still show for the appropriate period of time, but it will be marked as paid.
Is that 7 yrs from when I stopped paying the CC company or from when I started paying the law firm? Its been since 2013 when I stopped paying citigroup but only 2 yrs since I started paying Blitt & Gaines, which one applies??

quincy

Is that 7 yrs from when I stopped paying the CC company or from when I started paying the law firm? Its been since 2013 when I stopped paying citigroup but only 2 yrs since I started paying Blitt & Gaines, which one applies??
The three main credit bureaus stopped reporting civil judgments in 2017. The debts should show up as paid in full on your credit reports when the debt has been paid in full (when there is a satisfaction of judgment).

http://nationalconsumerassistanceplan.com

Last edited:
Is the "satisfaction of judgement" something I need to request from the law firm I'm paying? Or will they do it automatically? Or should I request they put it in writing they do when acct is PIF?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is the "satisfaction of judgement" something I need to request from the law firm I'm paying? Or will they do it automatically? Or should I request they put it in writing they do when acct is PIF?
They're supposed to do it automatically, but you should also request it after you've paid it in full.

quincy

The creditor should do it automatically. But you will want to make sure the creditor files both the satisfaction of judgment with the court and reports the satisfaction of the debt to the credit agencies.

Otherwise you can record the satisfaction of judgment yourself.

Your negative debt payments should be removed from your credit reports 7 years after the date of the original delinquencies that led to your default on the accounts. Positive debt histories can remain for 10 years.

It is important to note that, while judgments will not appear on your credit reports (and if they do, you should dispute their appearance on your reports), any judgments are public records. They can appear on background check reports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">