• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Debt Collection - What To Do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Strange update.... After reading the TigerD tips for negotiation, I called the Debt Collector company. They DID acknowledge that the debt was now in disputed status because they received my letter a couple weeks ago. BUT they said that they are "no longer representing the debt and it was returned back to the hospital". They stated that I must now instead just contact the hospital which is so confusing. They also said that they did not report this debt to any of the credit agencies. So now I am very confused about WHY the debt collector would no longer represent the debt? I tried to get it out of them the reason for this, but the only "possible" explanation was that it was returned because of being in disputed status BUT that was not a solid answer and there was clearly more to it that they would not say...
Most likely they didn't feel that it was worth it. Now it's time to call the pet hospital and discuss the matter with them.

quincy

Strange update.... After reading the TigerD tips for negotiation, I called the Debt Collector company. They DID acknowledge that the debt was now in disputed status because they received my letter a couple weeks ago. BUT they said that they are "no longer representing the debt and it was returned back to the hospital". They stated that I must now instead just contact the hospital which is so confusing. They also said that they did not report this debt to any of the credit agencies. So now I am very confused about WHY the debt collector would no longer represent the debt? I tried to get it out of them the reason for this, but the only "possible" explanation was that it was returned because of being in disputed status BUT that was not a solid answer and there was clearly more to it that they would not say...

FOR ALL OF YOU WONDERING THE AFOREMENTIONED STATUTE: The debt collection company made it clear that once the debt was disputed by me, that they cannot legally proceed with reporting the debt to any CRA.
It is time to contact the veterinarian, then, and get a detailed billing

The debt collector possibly returned the debt to the veterinarian because collection on the debt just got more complicated, with your claim of malpractice. I suspect the veterinarian now has a copy of the letter you sent to the debt collector.

I recommend you consult with an attorney in your area.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I recommend you consult with an attorney in your area.
Thanks for the suggestion! I can handle negotiation myself, no attorney necessary. I will surely update this thread with any pertinant updates for the sake of sharing information and my experience.

quincy

Thanks for the suggestion! I can handle negotiation myself, no attorney necessary. I will surely update this thread with any pertinant updates for the sake of sharing information and my experience.
Updates are always welcome. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">