• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Middle School teacher won't tell parent her child's grades

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midmom

Hello
My daughter attends a private school in New Jersey. The school does not have Powerschool. If a child is does well (or poorly) on an assignment, a teacher may or may not send a communication form to the student and/or parent. I recently received a communication form from daughters science teacher indicating poor performance on a test. I sent an email back to the teacher asking, can you please let me know all of her grades this semester and her overall grade. He replied "It's not my policy to share my grade book with parents". I didn't ask to see his grade book. I want to know my daughter's grades (test, homework, class work etc.) to see how she was performing this semester. My daughter is in 8th grade. My question, is it legal for a teacher not to provide grade information to the parent of a minor? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

xylene

These are questions to ask you school administration at a sit down conference when you discuss the value of the education you are receiving - and paying for as a discretionary expenditure.

You probably should ask yourself about your own complicity in racial and economic segregation, but that's another matter.

midmom

I'm not sure what you're implying, but the school is racially and economically diverse. Over 25% of the school are minorities/low income and many receive need based full scholarship. The private school is more diverse than our local public school.
Your comment has nothing to do with my original question.

quincy

Does your daughter share her class assignments and class work with you? If not, why not?

The teacher is within his legal rights to not share his grade book with you. I cannot understand why the teacher will not share your daughter's history of grades in the class with you, however.

Part of correcting a problem is knowing exactly what the problem is that needs correcting.

xylene

You have received your answer from the teacher and and it is time to use your leverage with the administration by threatening to pull your kid.

Oh wait, you don't have any leverage becuase they know you aren't going to pull your kid, especially when you just blasted those crummy ol' public schools you are shelling out 40G's to escape from.....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Xylene, you are way out of line. Not everyone who sends their child to private school is doing so to avoid contact with other races or economic backgrounds. The poster did not say one word "blasting" public schools but you're blasting the poster on assumptions that have no basis in what he has posted.

midmom

Thank you for your reply. With regard to communication with my daughter, although she is a very good student and conscientious, she tends to tell me the positive grades and neglects to tell me the negative ones. For example she'll get in the car and say "I received a 90 on my math quiz" but she'll neglect to tell me that she received a 60 on her science quiz. Although frustrating, I don't think that is too unusual for a 14 year old.

With regard to the reticent teacher, I have absolutely no idea why he won't disclose my daughter's grade history. This seems to be his own policy and nothing written in the school handbook. However the overall vibe of the school is that the parents should not be concerned with their child's grades.
Are you sure that if a parent asks for the grade history for a child, it's within the legal rights of the teacher to not disclose it? I looked in the school handbook and it doesn't say anything about a school policy that prohibits providing detailed grade reports.

midmom

Xylene- You are so out of line. One reason that I put my daughter into the private school is because it was MORE diverse than our public school, not less.

quincy

Thank you for your reply. With regard to communication with my daughter, although she is a very good student and conscientious, she tends to tell me the positive grades and neglects to tell me the negative ones. For example she'll get in the car and say "I received a 90 on my math quiz" but she'll neglect to tell me that she received a 60 on her science quiz. Although frustrating, I don't think that is too unusual for a 14 year old.

With regard to the reticent teacher, I have absolutely no idea why he won't disclose my daughter's grade history. This seems to be his own policy and nothing written in the school handbook. However the overall vibe of the school is that the parents should not be concerned with their child's grades.
Are you sure that if a parent asks for the grade history for a child, it's within the legal rights of the teacher to not disclose it? I looked in the school handbook and it doesn't say anything about a school policy that prohibits providing detailed grade reports.
I said the teacher is within his legal rights to not share his gradebook with you. That is the property of the teacher and not for public consumption.

I think you need to speak to, first, your daughter, to see if she can explain her "poor performance" on the test.

Then I think you need to speak directly with the teacher (make an appointment to meet with him) and discuss in person your concern over the poor performance of your daughter on the test. Ask if the poor performance on the test reflects her overall performance in the class. If so, ask the teacher for recommendations on how to assist your daughter with improving her overall grade. If not, write the poor performance on a single test as an anomaly that reflects nothing more than the normal ups and downs of life.

If the teacher refuses for any reason to meet with you to discuss your daughter and her academic performance in his class, then you can speak to the official at the school that oversees the teachers.

Good luck.

midmom

Thank you Quincy. I have spoken with my daughter. She claims that she is doing fine. When I asked to see ALL of her grades in the class to confirm what she said, she can't produce them in an organized fashion. I'm not sure is you have a middle schooler, but they aren't the most organized. That's why many schools have Powerschool (like our marvelous public school) . So a parent and student can see the student's grades without bothering the teacher.
Your statement "Ask if the poor performance on the test reflects her overall performance in the class" is PRECISELY the reason why I want to see ALL of her grades. I don't want to waste his time (and my time) having a face to face discussion. If I see the grades, I'll know that it was an anomaly or a pattern. Quincy, your advice is very good. But I wasn't looking for "how do I handle this situation" advice.
I thought that this forum was free legal counsel from legal professionals.
I wanted to know if I have a legal right to see all of my child's grades and if the school/teacher has a legal obligation to send me those grades when asked. I wanted sound legal advice from a legal professional.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wanted to know if I have a legal right to see all of my child's grades and if the school/teacher has a legal obligation to send me those grades when asked. I wanted sound legal advice from a legal professional.
You may, or may not. You should probably speak with a local attorney for assistance if you are unwilling to try the more practical and less costly solutions first.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
FreeAdvice.com has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding information and "advice" free since 1995 with thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed articles, questions and answers in more than 100 categories in the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS AND OTHER FORUM PAGES WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM and are provided AS IS. The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. Use of the Forums is subject to our Disclaimer and our Terms and Conditions of use which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum is never a substitute for personal advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com. Copyright since 1995 by Advice Company. All Rights Reserved.

Just Blue

Thank you Quincy. I have spoken with my daughter. She claims that she is doing fine. When I asked to see ALL of her grades in the class to confirm what she said, she can't produce them in an organized fashion. I'm not sure is you have a middle schooler, but they aren't the most organized. That's why many schools have Powerschool (like our marvelous public school) . So a parent and student can see the student's grades without bothering the teacher.
Your statement "Ask if the poor performance on the test reflects her overall performance in the class" is PRECISELY the reason why I want to see ALL of her grades. I don't want to waste his time (and my time) having a face to face discussion. If I see the grades, I'll know that it was an anomaly or a pattern. Quincy, your advice is very good. But I wasn't looking for "how do I handle this situation" advice.
I thought that this forum was free legal counsel from legal professionals.
You didn't read the TOS did you? I suggest you pay an attorney to answer your question.

midmom

Thank you Zignor. I will contact an attorney. For the record I'm not planning on suing the school or taking legal action
I am more curious to see what rights I have as a parent regarding information about my child.
If I have the legal right to this information, then this teacher should know that when a parent asks for grades, he should just type them in an email and send them. Instead of "I do not provide detailed grade history"
I wish you all a wonderful day. Especially angry Xylene.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">