• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Retirement/Lawyer Referral

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sidney75494

I am looking for a referral for a lawyer who has experience in military retirement law. Specifically, I was on active duty for 14 years 11 months 23 days. During this time I was found medically unfit for continued active duty, I was sent (from California) on "Orders to Home to Await Disability Retirement" (to Texas). Unfortunately I received a lump sum severance check for a disability discharge. I wrote Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson that day for her intervention. After about 6 months I received a reply that since I did not have 15 years I was ineligible for retirement. I applied to the Board of Correction of Naval Records. They also said that since I did not have 15 years I was not eligible for retirement. I resubmitted my request to them stating that it appears under federal law anyone who is within 2 years of being eligible to retire under any provision of law is to be afforded the opportunity to remain on active duty until eligible. I sent copies of my paperwork which reflect the counselor having crossed out this option stating I was ineligible. Additionally, I pointed out that I lost 32 days leave which could be credited towards the 7 days I was short in attaining 15 years. I received another denial from the BCNR today stating that I was not eligible for TERA and therefore they are not acting on my request. I was not some "dirtbag" sailor. I did my job well and received numerous awards documenting this fact: Sailor of the Year for 3 consecutive years at one command, 1 Navy & Marine Corps Meritorious Service Medal, 3 Navy Achievement Medals, 3 Silver Stars for Recruiting Support and several other small awards. Anyway, I feel like I've tried everything I can without taking legal action and am looking for a lawyer to represent me. Can this be a civil rights ADA case????
Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">