• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor not in my group.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA. If I’m hosting a party and an 18 year old comes too (to be clear NOT on the guest list. Just coming with one of my guests) and drinks alcohol, that won’t come as any trouble for me right?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? CA. If I’m hosting a party and an 18 year old comes too (to be clear NOT on the guest list. Just coming with one of my guests) and drinks alcohol, that won’t come as any trouble for me right?
Yes, of course it would. You are responsible for what happens in your home.

How old are you?

quincy

Here is California’s “Social Host” law:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=1714.

Will you be supplying the alcohol at the bowling alley or is the bowling alley selling and serving the alcohol? Are the other guests at the party also minors?

zddoodah

If I’m hosting a party and an 18 year old comes too (to be clear NOT on the guest list.
this would be at a bowling alley.
You should have mentioned the bowling alley bit in your original post. Do you really have a "guest list"? Does this inquiry relate to your other thread about the photo that includes both a baby and a can of beer?

Just coming with one of my guests) and drinks alcohol, that won’t come as any trouble for me right?
Depends on all the relevant facts and circumstances, almost none of which you have provided, but probably not.

Yes, of course it would. You are responsible for what happens in your home.
That statement is absolutely incorrect. The law does not hold a homeowner/tenant in possession liable for everything that happens in his/her home.

quincy

... That statement is absolutely incorrect. The law does not hold a homeowner/tenant in possession liable for everything that happens in his/her home.
When an accident or injury occurs in a home, however, the homeowner will be one of the likely targets for a lawsuit, often named (possibly with others) as a defendant in a lawsuit. It is the homeowner who generally has the insurance that can cover damages.

The fact that not all homeowners will be found liable for an accident or injury that occurs on their property does not preclude them from being sued and having to defend themselves in court.

PayrollHRGuy

When an accident or injury occurs in a home, however, the homeowner will be one of the likely targets for a lawsuit, often named (possibly with others) as a defendant in a lawsuit. It is the homeowner who generally has the insurance that can cover damages.

The fact that not all homeowners will be found liable for an accident or injury that occurs on their property does not preclude them from being sued and having to defend themselves in court.

We really aren't talking about an accident or injury here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">