• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor pregnant with kid of a 25yr old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Danu8912

A girl is 16 years old and she is pregnant with the child of a 25 year old man. She is due to give birth in December and they have recently gotten engaged. It seems that they intend to stay together and raise the child together. What should I do in terms of reporting the incidence or not?

justalayman

Not knowing what state this is in it is impossible to determine if there is any illegal activity involved

Also, how old was,the girl when impregnated?

Other than that, unless there is unlawful activity and you are a mandated reporter, what you do is,up to you.

Just Blue

A girl is 16 years old and she is pregnant with the child of a 25 year old man. She is due to give birth in December and they have recently gotten engaged. It seems that they intend to stay together and raise the child together. What should I do in terms of reporting the incidence or not?
What U.S. State is this in? Who are you in this situation?

justalayman

In California, the 25 year old has committed a felony.
As I read the statute it can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor aka a wobbler

(a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the perpetrator, if the person is a minor. For the purposes of this section, a “minor” is a person under the age of 18 years and an “adult” is a person who is at least 18 years of age.

(b) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is not more than three years older or three years younger than the perpetrator, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(c) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than the perpetrator is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

(d) Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for two, three, or four years.

HRZ

What compelling logic exists to not deal with this as a law enforcement issue and not address the criminal for what he is?

Being " engaged " has no legal relevance and dubious social relevance ...and even if to get married, the local DA can get date frame of at least one key event darn close wo Moms cooperation.

LdiJ

Based on the previous answers in this thread, it appears that somebody needs to call CPS and/or the parents of the 16 year old need to call the police.

justalayman

Based on the previous answers in this thread, it appears that somebody needs to call CPS and/or the parents of the 16 year old need to call the police.
But the op asked what should they do. That is a moral question and not a legal one. There is no legal obligation to report this unless the op is a mandated reporter.

I would hope they report this but whether they should or not is something they need to determine for themselves.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm thinking that it doesn't matter if the OP reports it or not, given that the doctor who delivers the baby is a mandated reporter. One way or another, it's going to get reported and if there is any justice in the world, the 25 year old will find himself in jail. And I want to know what the 16 year old's parents are thinking of.

LdiJ

I'm thinking that it doesn't matter if the OP reports it or not, given that the doctor who delivers the baby is a mandated reporter. One way or another, it's going to get reported and if there is any justice in the world, the 25 year old will find himself in jail. And I want to know what the 16 year old's parents are thinking of.
If anybody admits to the doctor that the daddy is 25.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">