• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minors paying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TeenDadAdvocate

As my user name indicates, I work with Teen Fathers (in Pennsylvania). Nearly all of my clients are under the age of 18, all are attending school, none are married, and all have limited financial resources. My mission is to help them graduate from high school and for them to take on larger, more meaningful, roles in their children's lives. Obviously these young men have moved themselves into adulthood much quicker than they would have liked and responsibility and sacrifice on their part is expected. However, legal barriers often increase the likelihood many of them give up. I have spent a lot of time researching a myriad of legal issues for my guys because of a lack of viable free legal aid in my area and the inability of local agencies to answer our questions. I hope to find a little help here.

Can minors be court ordered to pay child support while attending High School (or even Middle School)?
Can judges order teen dad to quit extra-curricular activities to get a job to pay child support? (In this instance, to increase the number of hours worked)
Can teen mom and baby leave the state to live with relatives other than her parents to deny access of baby to teen dad?

Thank you for considering these questions. I hope someone can help.

S

SZQ_Public

I can't offer a legal opinion, but as a former "teen-mom" (decades ago) I will offer my personal opinion.

I hope the answer to all you questions is YES!

If the father (teen or not) isn't expected to do anything to help financially, then everything falls on the mother. Who also has the added "responsibility" of actually taking care of the child.

Why should the father (teen or not) be off playing basketball while the mother is trying to care for and provide for the child?

And finally, if she has a relative willing to help her out she should go.

I would think it would be more productive teaching teen fathers how to accept their responsibilities right from the beginning. (I learned quickly!) I do think they should continue their education so that in the future they can better support their children, but extra-curricular activities, give me a break.

D

deefran

No matter if the father is still in High School...he still has an obligation to a child he helped to create...Yes, judges do and have ordered teen dads to pay support while in HS...(as long as said teen is at legal age to work (age in most states is 14..with permssion forms from school and parents)
As for extra-curricular activities...Some judges don't care if the father is participating in them, as long as they continue to support the child...If they become an excuse as to why Dad can't work and ay support..then Yes they will order them to either a) quit the EC activity and work or b) find a job whose schedule works around the EC activity. As for the mother being able to move out of state, the teen dad would have to petition the courts for joint custody and have it put into the order which would prevent both Mom and Dad from moving out of state without other parent's and courts consent.

I commend you that you are trying to work with the teen father's so they can get their lives straight...but there is another life now and it is no less important then the "boys" you counsel...which is what judges consider in their rulings.

VeronicaGia

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but some states can make the parents of the NCP minor pay child support. It is such a sad situation all the way around.

Did you insist all these young men get DNA tested to ensure these children are really theirs? That is absolutely your first step. Once paternity is legally established, support and visitation orders can take place. In MI, they were batting around a law making it illegal for the CP to move more than 100 miles away from the NCP without court approval. Don't know if it ever became law, but these young men could ask for it as part of their court order.

I also hope you are somehow counselling them on birth control, and if possible, parenting.

You are to be admired for your work. Statistics show that 70% of black children are born and raised in single parent homes. 90% of custody orders grant custody to mothers. Fathers are mandatory to the well being of children, whether the courts think so or not.

Hopefull IAAL, Legal Beagle or some other attorney will read your question and kindly respond.

R

railroaded?

I think if the extra curicular activity is one that the guy is good enough in to get a scholarship, he should be allowed to continue it.

I also think that what you are doing is wonderful and benefiting everyone, and I don't feel that you are more concerned with your
'boys' than with their children. I KNOW how overwhelming the legal system is to the poor, and I know that the system is a wreck, and too much emphasis is put on child support and not enough on the visitation rights of the Non custodial parent, which IMO is just as important as child support. Having someone like you around to explain the system and try to help with the red tape can sure mean the difference in a child having a father in it's life, because the system is so bad that many of them end up owing a large chunk of money by the time that paternity is established, and the interest rivals that of a loan shark, and the child is old enough to cry when leaving the mother and her family for the visitations. Which is distressing to everyone involved, and too many times, the father gives up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">